WAG Gloves and Wrist Bands

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

Ex member

Dd has just started her normal training sessions after training for her meet just gone (she started gymnastics in August and went straight into competition practice. At her last session they went on the strap bar and used gloves from the gym club - these were far to big for dd's hands, she has really tiny hands (the size of a 3-4 year old). I spoke to dd's coach and asked if I could provide dd with her own gloves and she said I could.

What sort of gloves and wristbands can I use, would normal winter gloves be ok? Also would normal sweat bands be ok?

Our girls use plain white cotton gloves from the pharmacy, in the small size (the smallest size there is). While several different styles can be had, the ones the gym recommend have a wide cuff of rib fabric. Whether you're likely to have similar products in the UK as in Australia, I don't know. And whether any would be small enough, I don't know either.

Our girls don't use wrist bands with their straps on metal bar. They only use wrist bands (the wide ones) with their grips on wooden bars.

I have never seen anyone from dd's gym using cotton gloves, they all looked like normal winter wooly type gloves to me, dd's coach told us they needed wrist bands and also a little bag to keep them in.

Magic gloves. You know the ones that look tiny, but are super stretchy? They're perfect and it's what dd's coach told her to get rather than spend money on bar gloves.

Have a look at Gymnastics Express website. They sell the straps. They also sell bar gloves which are essentially white magic gloves. My dd gets hers from there now but had a pair of black magic gloves until she became self conscious about them being different. So now I pay the extra couple of pounds for the 'real' ones.

They also sell wristbands. And dd does wear her wristbands with her gloves for strap bar work, I guess it stops the strap rubbing their wrists? Anyway, gymnastics wrist bands are quite a bit deeper (longer) than standard tennis type ones and standard ones wont work under handguards, they're not long enough. All sorts of funky colours available.

Neither straps, gloves or wristbands are expensive items and will normally arrive within 1 or 2 days of ordering.

Oh and they sell really cute, fluffy bags for them too, but I was too mean to pay for one and made dd a simple drawstring bag out of shiny material.

Thanks, I was thinking of making dd a bag to use until I can get one from ebay, I will have a look on the website you suggested but will get dd some magic gloves to use in the mean time. Dd told me that straps size 27 fits her - I don't know much about them but I think the coach said that the gym club was getting them. What do they use the straps for? Are they a safety device?

I hope this is not too much off topic. (If it is, please tell me, than I will start a new thread) Why do you use gloves? We never do, just wristbands and straps. We can strap ourselves onto the bar or onto the PVC (it is around the bar, I hope you know what I mean). We do giants, clearhips, stalders, ect. Do you guys think this is dangerous? Oh and only a little chalk is allowed.

What do they use the straps for? Are they a safety device?

Kind of. They are actually loops. they loop them over the bar and slot them hands through them, so they are looped over their wrists, before grasping the bar. That way they are sort of strapped to the bar and can't ping off. The gloves slip around on the metal very easily.

lovegymnastics you should never do strap work on a wooden bar, that is very dangerous, but I assume you're not doing that? We're just talking about metal strap bars where the combination of soft gloves and shiny bar allows the hands to slip very freely to practice big swinging skills without risking the hands from stopping and the body continuing and you can picture the rest :eek:

The gloves keep the hands dry, sweat and grease free so they slip freely. Sweaty hands would also be quite dangerous I imagine as again they wouldn't move at the ame speed as the body...

I'm not sure what you mean by pvc. If you have a pvc tube over the bar then I guess the tube slips round the bar as you grasp it, so the effect is similar? In that case you hands would be staying still on the pvc and not need to slip round it so gloves wouldn't be necessary. I'm just guessing there though as it's not the same system.

Oh, I did mean a metal bar ;p just without gloves.
But in my experience when hands get sweaty, there is less friction and it should work the same as gloves?
The pvc thing... Yes your hands stay on the pvc and the pvc rotates around the bar.

My dd uses the white gloves from gymnastics express but she started off with the magic gloves. She sometimes has even used socks. I decided to get her the proper gloves because she will need to wear them for her compulsory level 5 competition next year. She wears wristbands with the gloves and loops

Mine used wollen gloves but as they are mostly nylon I was worried about combustion ! lol I got the loops online and I got the gloves on Fleebay, 2 pairs for around £4. I got 2 pairs for when she looses one.

I hope this is not too much off topic. (If it is, please tell me, than I will start a new thread) Why do you use gloves? We never do, just wristbands and straps. We can strap ourselves onto the bar or onto the PVC (it is around the bar, I hope you know what I mean). We do giants, clearhips, stalders, ect. Do you guys think this is dangerous? Oh and only a little chalk is allowed.

The gloves are when there is no plastic tube over the bar. I was told it is better than the tube way because the girls learn about the feeling of moving their wrists around the bar as opposed to just hanging on and spinning around.

lovegymnastics you should never do strap work on a wooden bar, that is very dangerous, but I assume you're not doing that? We're just talking about metal strap bars where the combination of soft gloves and shiny bar allows the hands to slip very freely to practice big swinging skills without risking the hands from stopping and the body continuing and you can picture the rest :eek:

The gloves keep the hands dry, sweat and grease free so they slip freely. Sweaty hands would also be quite dangerous I imagine as again they wouldn't move at the ame speed as the body...

I'm not sure what you mean by pvc. If you have a pvc tube over the bar then I guess the tube slips round the bar as you grasp it, so the effect is similar? In that case you hands would be staying still on the pvc and not need to slip round it so gloves wouldn't be necessary. I'm just guessing there though as it's not the same system.
Our gym does this too...and yes it has been my experience that the PVC around the metal bar has the same effect as the gloves. We still use wristbands with the straps as well

My dd current gym does not use gloves but her old gym did. We found that the best ones were from the gap or old navy. I always bought her own which she kept in her grip bag cause the shared ones were so icky. But the gap ones were thinner and had long cuffs. Worked like a charm..

I wouldn't get the knit kind. Cotton gloves (like a gardening type, but many come with the "non-skid" gripper stuff now which doesn't work for this) are better. Or a rougher kind of leather. But I imagine that will be hard to find small.

It is very important that the gloves are fitted and not bulky (big safety issue). If the fingers are too long cut the tips off as those who use toe socks do.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back