Parents Good score?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mommy25qtpies

Proud Parent
Sitting at my daughter's mock meet, getting ready for the first real meet next weekend. Just curious what is a "good" score in each of the events?

I consider anything at 9 or above good for all events but floor. For floor, I think around a 9.3 is good. But that is just my opinion. Others might have different experiences.

It really varies and is also unique to each kid. There are some kids on my dd's team who if they get below 9.15 on anything the parents think they didn't do well. If my dd gets a 9 anything on any event she and I are both thrilled. Realistically though, even for the kids disappointed in a low 9 in our area, a high 8 or higher is a great score. (BTW, I'm talking about level 4 scoring. We saw higher scoring at lower levels and Xcel scoring here seems to run higher.) Any 8 on an event is fine in my book. Heck, my dd has placed top 1/3 with a high 7 on bars at the start of the season!!

I'm not sure what level or age your daughter is, or if this is her first ever meet or first meet of the season next weekend....

But having my own 7 DD who is competing level 3 this year (also did 3 last year.... Coach wanted her to compete 3 again until after states in December then she'll move to 4 )... I have come to realize that although as parents we always want to know how our child stacks up compared to others (I think it's natural), it's important to focus LESS about score and more about SKILLS. Did she stick her beam routine? Nail her stride circle on bars? Straight legged ROBHS?

My DD makes a goal sheet before each meet-- completely non-score related. That way she can measure her success by more than what one judge happens to give her on a particular day. Just something we have found that works!!

To your original question--- I think it depends on the area in which you live, the competitiveness of your gym and team placement, plus I'm context of the questions I asked off the bat-- it's very subjective...

Personally, I didn't know what was 'good' until we were at the meet and able to see others compete and the scores they received. (And it appeared an 8 or up was pretty good..but it's all about perspective)

Varies hugely by level and region. Look at what is required to qualify for states and divide by 4....that will give you an idea of what is considered "good" in your level/region. Not winning scores, by the way, but "good"....

A good score is any score that's higher than her last meet.
A score that gets her first place is also a good score.

UB, BB, and FX: anything above a 9 is good. Vault scores tend to be lower at those levels in my experience, so I'd say 8.8 and up.

Anything above 8.5 is GOOD here, over a 9 is EXCELLENT. Vault always seem to be slightly lower, anything over an 8 is good, rarely see anything over 9.
This holds for levels 3-4-5 here. Qualifying for Sectionals takes hitting a 32AA twice, and qualifying for States takes hitting a 33AA at sectionals.

Anything above 8.5 is GOOD here, over a 9 is EXCELLENT. Vault always seem to be slightly lower, anything over an 8 is good, rarely see anything over 9.
This holds for levels 3-4-5 here. Qualifying for Sectionals takes hitting a 32AA twice, and qualifying for States takes hitting a 33AA at sectionals.

See... Completely different here!! My DD last year, as a 6 yo level 3 scored a 9.4 on vault during her first meet...9's on our team and in our area are common and expected on vault!

Bars--typically mid 8's is most common. Floor--high 8's, low 9's

When my DD was competing as a 6 year old level 3 last season we came to realize that "good" was achieving her own personal goals. Trying to figure out scoring and judge your DD's performance based on those scores WILL become infuriating. My DD only scored one 9 all season and was usually in the low to mid 8's. But she had a blast. Personally, I think if any little girl gets up in front of an audience and does these skills she has done GREAT, regardless of her score :)

Around here it seems to me like anything over a 9 is good in the lower levels. 9.3-9.4's would typically win an event.

Can you look up the meet results from a local meet (or maybe the

Around here it seems like anything 9 and over is considered a good score in the lower levels. Something in the 9.3-9.4 range would typically win an event.

Can you look up the results of recent local meet and/or the results from last year of a meet that your dd will be attending? It might give you a ballpark idea of what scores are considered competitive in your area.

Around here it seems to me like anything over a 9 is good in the lower levels. 9.3-9.4's would typically win an event.

Can you look up the meet results from a local meet (or maybe the

Sorry, I was having internet issues and didn't realize this got posted. Please ignore this response. :)

Around here it seems like anything 9 and over is considered a good score in the lower levels. Something in the 9.3-9.4 range would typically win an event.

Can you look up the results of recent local meet and/or the results from last year of a meet that your dd will be attending? It might give you a ballpark idea of what scores are considered competitive in your area.

In DDs recent meets (L4) a 9.5+ is needed for the top spots in everything except vault. Vault with a 9.1+ would probably take it, and that's with a generous vault judge.

First season 8.5 and higher. So many girls repeat level 3, therefore you will see a wide range of scores. 9+ is where it's at and consistent on all events scoring 36+. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back