Grade 14 questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Uglybetty

Proud Parent
It looks like DD is going to be doing grade 14 in a few months. Another poster linked to a youtube clip of skyla sims doing it which has helped me visualise what she'll need to do. I'm not that worried about most of it (she has been up training and has had most skills for a while and a lot of harder skills which don't appear). She needs to nail her bridge kick over - she had just learned it before they started working on the Xmas display so it hasn't been practised for a while (DD is not the most naturally flexible kid). However, I do have a few questions for anyone who might know the answers:

(1) have there been any changes to the requirements that I need to be aware of?
(2) She has been shown her beam routine and there is a section where you lift your leg then sit down with it still lifted. We know that the lifted leg is not supposed to touch the beam but DD is unsure whether it has to stay hovering over the beam (ie central) or if it can move slightly to the side and dip below the level of the beam ( that's what skyla seems to do). DD is practising this section on her home beam so I want to make sure she's doing it correctly.
(3) if you don't have all three splits but otherwise score well can you still pass? DD has one leg and box but is a little bit off on her "bad" leg. I know grades are months off but she's been working it for four months already and I'd hate her to fail just or that one skill.

I don't think any requirements have changed.
I don't think the leg should dip below the beam either on the sit down or stand up part of the move. That is what we try and teach anyway.
If she has one split not so good but everything else nice she will still score well it would be a half mark deduction. She should still pass range easily. The closer she is to the split the less she will lose. Don't worry too much if everything else is good.

I don't have anything to add, but good luck to your daughter. In the recent updates from BG they said they weren't changing the grades this year, so the coaches will know what they are doing.

I know she's not been in the group long, so exciting news :)

Gym was unexpectedly cancelled so she's had loads of time to practice her beam routine (santa brought an 8ft beam which has sat in my sitting room ever since) and she's pretty much got it on low beam now (still a little wobbly sometimes but not falling off). Hopefully coach will see the improvement and will let her try on the high beam soon.

Back-bend kick over also back so looking hopeful.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back