WAG Gram ideas for our upcoming meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Carolinmk

Proud Parent
Our booster club is looking for some new ideas for good luck grams to sell at our upcoming meet. Anyone have suggestions that have worked well for them. We usually have a Nee Year's theme because it is the 2nd weekend in January but any and all ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What are grams? Do parents buy these? How do they work?

In my experience, they are mostly purchased by lower level parents/relatives. Usually $1-2 range for chocolate pops, bars or candy bags. I've seen grip bags or teddy bears with a bottle of water for $10, don't know how well those do.

We bought one for dd at each meet last year. We spent about $10 for whatever the visible goodies were, balloon, bear, etc. I never went for all the candy, we always go celebrate as a family after the meet, which includes a dessert :)

We have done winters beanie hats (with gymnast logo), scarves (with gymnast with logo), roll up blankets, piggy banks, water bottles, ice packs, pillow pets, nail kits, cake pops, et al.

@Gymmonkeymomma is correct that they are mostly bought by lower levels, so keep a younger age in mind. Personally, I'm never going to buy another cup or water bottle, or grip bag. Way, way too many over the years.

Stay away from the ridiculous "shout outs"; I absolutely HATE those things. As a meet director, I don't want any distractions for the competing athletes and these things are nothing more than that. As a spectator, I also do not like having little girls going through the stands selling things (raffle tickets, etc). All selling should be done at the concession stands.

Stay away from the ridiculous "shout outs"; I absolutely HATE those things. As a meet director, I don't want any distractions for the competing athletes and these things are nothing more than that. As a spectator, I also do not like having little girls going through the stands selling things (raffle tickets, etc). All selling should be done at the concession stands.
Both my kids like the shout outs. I think it's best when they are done in between events though. I agree about the going around selling. I don't mind too much if they come around once, but at one meet they asked me like 5 times. That meet had the most cramped seating too, so they couldn't walk around us easily either.

Also, for the raffle. Just put all the tickets in one bucket and draw for each prize. Don't make it so complicated that I have to decide where to put each ticket.

We sold simple flower bouquets for the older girls and those did very well (cost was about $3-4 and sold them for $10). For the grams we generally do a little gift bag with a mylar balloon (we get the helium donated to us), some natural candy and some useful little things. We just had a meet in Nov (start of our season) and made little 'score books' for the girls to keep track of their meets during the season, a pen with a ribbon tied on it, hand sanitizer, a little bag of epsom salts with a card/note that I think said "you really cleaned up!" and some glow sticks on a cute card that said "Let your light shine". We also attached the balloon to the bag with a closepin that had ribbon glued on and a magnet for the girls to put in their lockers. Needless to say we sold out of EVERYTHING… I guess folks really liked them!

We are low budget so we usually sell hand sanitizer with the covers from bath and body works. Cost $1 each (after coupons) and we sell for about $2-3 each with the shout outs. At other meets, we've bought key chains, teddy bears, scarves, and socks

I'm not sure I'm familiar with "shout outs" what is that? We call the girls up to get their grams after their events right before awards. Is this something different? I'm in charge of our grams so always looking for new ideas!

I'm guessing the shout-out refers to reading the gram during the meet. For example: "This one is to Haley G of Flippers Gymnastics--Good luck, smile and have fun! From mom and dad" I know MeetDirector said she/he hated these, but we do them at all our meets and they're very popular.

My IPad is being obnoxious and not letting me cut and paste the website I want. Google "Kamibashi String Dolls" or just "string doll gang".
The gymnast (Aerial) is awesome (you can get her with different hair colors too), plus there are some others.. A butterfly who "calms your nerves when they're all a flutter" and one in a cast and others that have been a big hit at our meets. The women who own the company are great to work with and will likely let you buy on consignment so you can send back what doesn't sell. Oh, and they're Fair Trade too! We buy them for $5, sell them for $10, and we sold 60 last year at a meet of about 500 kids. Can't go wrong! Tell them Mary recommended them to you!

Oh, plus the woman at ginnasta (sp?) grips will sell you little grip key chains/zipper pulls for (I think) $2.50 each if you buy at least (I think) 25. They come with bands in assorted zebra-striped patterns and were also a huge hit.

Both of these are supporting small, women-owned businesses. When you contact them, you are communicating directly with the owners. Yes, I also buy stuff from Dollar Tree (Mylar balloons already filled with helium for $1... Can't beat it!) and oriental trading company, but I sure feel better about the stuff I buy from these women! :)

Thanks for all the ideas! We are also thinking about doing a photo booth with New Year props and selling pics for $5. What are your ideas about that?

Thanks for all the ideas! We are also thinking about doing a photo booth with New Year props and selling pics for $5. What are your ideas about that?
I already pitched this idea for next year's meet gift (the one everyone gets). I think it's an awesome idea. The only thing is that we generally sell stuff to parents while the meet is going on. After the meet is over, people are either eager to eat or eager to head home, so timing could be difficult. That's why I was thinking maybe as a meet gift and girls could do it in between the meet and awards.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back