WAG Great Tkachev Spotting

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Honey

Proud Parent
Gymnasticscoaching.com posted video of the Italian coach spotting his young gymnast on bars at Gymnix. There is no doubt that his spotting is spot on (haha) but given how epically bad that release move went and the fact that it happened twice makes me wonder about the thought process behind deciding to compete a skill, particularly at the elite level. How do coaches balance increasing difficulty with the safety of the athlete? What degree of mastery is necessary? Is there any benefit to having an athlete attempt a skill in competition that isn't quite in their wheelhouse yet?

http://gymnasticscoaching.com/new/2015/03/great-tkachev-spot/

(Sorry I didn't imbed the link, I'm not quite that CB savvy yet!)

Very scary. I'm curious to see the coaches' answer to the OP's question. The coach is standing right there, like he knows it's going to happen. Why would he let her compete it?

Reactions: sce
THat was frightening.....

Oh yeah. If I saw my kid do that in competition or even in practice over a pit I think I would pee my pants. Is it possible for an athlete who has "mastered" a tkachev to screw it up that badly?

Reactions: sce
Gymnasticscoaching.com posted video of the Italian coach spotting his young gymnast on bars at Gymnix. There is no doubt that his spotting is spot on (haha) but given how epically bad that release move went and the fact that it happened twice makes me wonder about the thought process behind deciding to compete a skill, particularly at the elite level. How do coaches balance increasing difficulty with the safety of the athlete? What degree of mastery is necessary? Is there any benefit to having an athlete attempt a skill in competition that isn't quite in their wheelhouse yet?

http://gymnasticscoaching.com/new/2015/03/great-tkachev-spot/

(Sorry I didn't imbed the link, I'm not quite that CB savvy yet!)

the coach needs to work on his knowledge of Tkatchevs.

1. the girl does a bail. a bail that would have been perfect for a bail to handstand, bail to Pak or even bail to Bardwaj. THIS IS NOT THE PROPER TECHNIQUE FOR A GIANT TO TAP FOR THIS RELEASE MOVE. coaches, please don't watch this as a model.

2. the girl lifted her legs...instead of driving them down and forward. now you question again what this girl was taught.

3. she had no idea where she was on the 1st attempt. coaches can see this.

4. she had no idea where she was on the 2nd attempt. coaches can see this.

5. bad idea

Oh yeah. If I saw my kid do that in competition or even in practice over a pit I think I would pee my pants. Is it possible for an athlete who has "mastered" a tkachev to screw it up that badly?

Not 100% sure. One of our boys who had done hundreds of double backs, suddenly missed his tap on one and landed on the bar with his back. he did say he knew the minute he let go that he was in trouble.

anything is possible. it is gymnastics. but usually not.

and better hope that the coach figures it out. cause when that girl becomes 120lbs that coach will be pushing up daisies. :)

lol! That should motivate him.

As an aside, is there a larger deduction for a fall where the coach catches/touches the athlete or is it the same as a regular fall?

lol! That should motivate him.

As an aside, is there a larger deduction for a fall where the coach catches/touches the athlete or is it the same as a regular fall?

it's just a fall with a 1 point deduction in FIG. the coach would have to touch her in the skill itself for there to be an additional deduction.

It looks like she was just a few inches from the bar hitting above her hips. Instead of flipping over the bar as she does, she would have been wrapped around the bar backwards with who knows what kind of injuries.:mad::mad:

It's a great example of how much trust a gymnast can put in a coach. She clearly is not close to having this skill but the coach said go, so she tried it, again an again.

She did it in the preliminaries. Page down on the link where it shows her doing it. Some days things just fall apart for some reason. Just ask my daughter about that. LOL

That's true, she did do it but not only is he spotting there too but has his hands out to catch which suggests that it is a regular occurrence. It does seem likely that this skill is inconsistent for her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back