Parents Grips/Handguards

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

Ex member

My youngest dd wore her new handguards at her last session and she told me they hurt her fingers, when she took them off there was marks around her fingers where they dug in, my dd has only got suede palm guards as her hands are too small ( the other girls had to get dowel grips).

I understand from what the coaches told me when dd first said that she thought that the grips were too small (she tried them on at home) that they had to wear the grips in and that they would be uncomfortable around the fingers for a little while, how long does it take to wear the grips in, should they leave heavy marks around the fingers after use? My dd has thin fingers so the holes are not too small, the marks on the fingers are around the tops were the grips pull down when secured around the wrist (if you know what I mean). Dd has the smalles grip size (extra small).

They may be very small. The smallest size of those palm guards is designed for a very, very tiny hand.

The holes are designed to be a little on the small side because it is easier to make them bigger than it is to deal with them if they are too big.

Get the coach to check it out, so you know for sure, but you can stretch the finger holes.

The do stretch with wear. P&F now needs wedges in hers as the holes are too big. The coach will be able to check it out for her

My daughter is 11 and has very tiny hands. She wears double 00 grips. I worked her grips in before she took them to the gym. I spend an entire night rolling them. As for the finger section. I took a pencil and sandpaper and "slight" opened them. And I mean slightly. Enough to take the hard edge off. The grips do stretch.
Your not suppose to put water on grips but they all do. Her last set of grips - she needed at the end to put finger wedges in as well. Thats when I knew it was time to change grips.

My youngest dd wore her new handguards at her last session and she told me they hurt her fingers, when she took them off there was marks around her fingers where they dug in, my dd has only got suede palm guards as her hands are too small ( the other girls had to get dowel grips).

I understand from what the coaches told me when dd first said that she thought that the grips were too small (she tried them on at home) that they had to wear the grips in and that they would be uncomfortable around the fingers for a little while, how long does it take to wear the grips in, should they leave heavy marks around the fingers after use? My dd has thin fingers so the holes are not too small, the marks on the fingers are around the tops were the grips pull down when secured around the wrist (if you know what I mean). Dd has the smalles grip size (extra small).

I asked dd if she told her coach her handguards were cutting into her fingers and she said no, dd is quite shy and just does what she is told and will not speak up for herself, I will grab one of the coaches dd is with when I am next at the gym with my oldest dd. The guards are cutting into dd's fingers at the base and left a purple black mark that were still stlightly there they day after she wore them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back