WAG Guinea Pigs for D1?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yikes! I'm out!
Yikes? Aren't you the one that started the derogatory comments on this post? Sorry but i think anyone would have been offended by someone calling them uneducated and that they are posting inaccuracies on a forum. When in actuality i did not? The end result was that Region 1 is in fact the #1 region and it is fact that not everyone knows everything about the Elite world of gymnastics.. and by asking a question you get called names? I think perhaps you might want to go back and re-read your comments and think YIKEs about that.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but yes.........sometimes a kid might be from a strong region (heck, even a region with one super strong GYM) and won't be able to make it to Nationals because there are 7 kids in that age group at regionals scoring 38+. In weaker regions without those gyms that have a ton of amazing level 10s, it is probably easier to qualify to nationals. Once you're there though--the competition is equal, of course.

It's not a dig towards the weaker regions, it's just a more of a "that's tough" kind of thing for the stronger regions.

My daughter competed in a North Dallas "district" when she was in the youngest age group possible. Even at the lower levels, it was hard to compete against those top gyms. I think she placed 11th once with a 9.675. It just is what it is.
exactly. it is what it is. but apparently you can't think that there are "weak" regions out there or you might get attacked on this forum! oh well .. such is life! That was my main objective that apparently went bad...

I think a lot of parents, athletes and sometimes coaches (in all sports) don’t realize how hard it is to get a full athletic scholarship to college - why do you think that in all sports, signing day is such a big deal? I also think that people underestimate the work required not only to get there, but then to thrive/be successful at that level. It goes way beyond physical talent, and I think the psychological side is often not considered - I’ve seen amazingly talented athletes (not only gymnastics) get full rides and eventually quit the sport/leave school/etc., because while they had the physical talent, they could not handle the psychological stresses, the pressure, the responsibility. Or they went from being “the best” on their HS/club team, to middle of the pack or one of the best on a college team - sometimes that is hard to handle.

Whatever sport your child is in - enjoy the ride, it’s a long road to college, and there are so many other goals/milestones along the way. It sounds like your daughter is at a gym you are comfortable with, and even though they haven’t had any D1 athletes, they HAVE had girls go on to compete at the NCAA level and that is huge - they seem to have a plan, and hopefully all 5 of those girls will not only stay in the sport, but be successful and achieve their goals of getting to compete in college. But if things change, and they don’t get that scholarship, I hope that they learned something from being in a competitive sport and that they can look back and realize that they were successful even without meeting that ultimate goal.

THIS x100!

But doesn't that mean that you can indeed compete in a Classic and then decided to go back to Level 10? Seems like some people tire of, or are not as successful as they want to be in elite gymnastics and then return to Level 10. It's not a done deal. I know that I was at a meet where Megan Skaggs competed level 10 after she had already been an elite gymnast.
Okay, let me try and clarify. My daughter will be doing level 10 and also trying to compete as a junior elite in 2019, if she qualifies to a classic meet as a junior elite in 2019 then she can no longer compete in a JO meet...unless she petitions to go back to JO. So, when I say she can no longer compete in a JO meet I don't necessarily mean never, ever again, but she would have to petition back down to JO. So basically once you compete in a classic meet as a junior or senior elite you are then considered an elite level gymnast and not a JO gymnast. And yes, there are some meets that will have an "open" age division, where the elite girls can compete. Since there are so many fewer elite meets a lot of elite gymnasts will compete in the open division at JO meets. Hopefully this makes sense.

Okay, let me try and clarify. My daughter will be doing level 10 and also trying to compete as a junior elite in 2019, if she qualifies to a classic meet as a junior elite in 2019 then she can no longer compete in a JO meet...unless she petitions to go back to JO. So, when I say she can no longer compete in a JO meet I don't necessarily mean never, ever again, but she would have to petition back down to JO. So basically once you compete in a classic meet as a junior or senior elite you are then considered an elite level gymnast and not a JO gymnast. And yes, there are some meets that will have an "open" age division, where the elite girls can compete. Since there are so many fewer elite meets a lot of elite gymnasts will compete in the open division at JO meets. Hopefully this makes sense.

Yes and one more thing, if I’m understanding correctly. As the classics take place after JO nationals, the elites are only out of JO starting the year after they qualify elite, right?

No, elites can not compete jos once they compete as an elite. They can qualify as an elite but once they compete in an elite competition as an elite, no more JOs unless they petition down.
She was asking about the year following, so my answer was correct. My daughter will be able to compete JO in 2019 and also be able to try and qualify as a junior elite. JO Nationals will be over BEFORE the classics take place, so she will no longer be able to compete JO starting in 2020. You can compete in the elite qualifier meets and do JO meets but once you compete in a Classic meet then your JO season is over. And since the JO season will end BEFORE either of the classic meets take place, she can compete in both JO and elite qualifier meets in 2019. But once she competes in a classic meet as a junior elite her JO season will be over.

exactly. it is what it is. but apparently you can't think that there are "weak" regions out there or you might get attacked on this forum! oh well .. such is life! That was my main objective that apparently went bad...
Region 1 has California as well as Az and other very strong states and have won super region last couple years at nationals. You will see many girls with mid37s not get to nationals. This is also true of region 3 With Texas. Smaller regions don’t even fill all their slots and their scores are by average much lower. Colleges know this and you see most colleges at regionals in 1 and 3.

No, elites can not compete jos once they compete as an elite. They can qualify as an elite but once they compete in an elite competition as an elite, no more JOs unless they petition down, so not necessarily a full year later.
In the year they qualify to the Classic, they can continue to compete JO 10. Once they compete IN the Classic, then they can no longer compete JO without petitioning. A girl in our gym qualified elite, then was injured and could not compete at the Classic, so she continued competing level 10, and will try again this year to qualify elite.

Region 1 has California as well as Az and other very strong states and have won super region last couple years at nationals. You will see many girls with mid37s not get to nationals. This is also true of region 3 With Texas. Smaller regions don’t even fill all their slots and their scores are by average much lower. Colleges know this and you see most colleges at regionals in 1 and 3.
And Region 8. The West doesn't have the monopoly on high scores not qualifying to Nationals, LOL!

In the year they qualify to the Classic, they can continue to compete JO 10. Once they compete IN the Classic, then they can no longer compete JO without petitioning. A girl in our gym qualified elite, then was injured and could not compete at the Classic, so she continued competing level 10, and will try again this year to qualify elite.
Exactly what I said but for some reason it seems to keep getting lost in translation. Until she competes IN the classic she can continue to compete in JO meets. And since the classic never happens until after JO nationals it doesn't really take effect until the next season anyway.

Exactly what I said but for some reason it seems to keep getting lost in translation. Until she competes IN the classic she can continue to compete in JO meets. And since the classic never happens until after JO nationals it doesn't really take effect until the next season anyway.
And, HOPES isn't included in this, so girls can qualify HOPES and compete in the HOPES championships, and then continue as level 9 or 10 until they qualify Jr or Sr International Elite AND compete in the Classic.

And, HOPES isn't included in this, so girls can qualify HOPES and compete in the HOPES championships, and then continue as level 9 or 10 until they qualify Jr or Sr International Elite AND compete in the Classic.
Here is a HOPES question:
If your daughter’s birthday is after the season does she compete at the younger age group or do they have to move up, like they do for tops training? I always wondered this, not that my kid does either one, lol!

Yup, exactly what i said way earlier in the forum post... and then pretty much got attacked for saying so. Saying it was opinion and not fact.. i mean a region winning several years in a row must not be factual, but you know..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back