gym question for everyone, sorry its long!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

littlegirlsdream

Proud Parent
I am wanting everyones opinions on this. I have a young level 5 gymnast who by nature is a hardworking kid across the board. Like many of your daughters her passion is gymnastics. She loves everything about it. She was attending a serious and highly competitive gym however we switched her, much to her dismay, to a less structured and less competitve gym. We did this for many reasons but since the switch it has become obvious that the level of proper skill developement is much lower at new gym. The coaches seem less effective at teaching skills esp to the young ones, conditioning is little to none, there seems to be no progression drills and there are very many gymnasts all the way up the levels that have incorrect form, look sloppy and at times down right dangerous. Now that being said the gym does have it strong points. The relaxed atmosphere has helped DD relax which she needed, she enjoys more team outings and her skills still seem to be slowly progressing. So the question is would you stay at gym B or move back to a gym similar to the strict one and does it matter at the lower levels.

are you at one of ray overman's gyms or are you east of st. louis?

stupid me...i meant west of st. louis. are you way out there towards springfield or might you be near the illinois border?

i'm asking to know what your options are...

oh! you have a couple of good gyms in that area. you probably know who they are then. lots of good kids come out of relaxed gyms. in fact, i've seen just as many good kids come out of relaxed gyms as strict gyms.

Thats incouraging. The difference between th 2 gyms DD has been in are astonishing. The gymnastics seen at her first gym was far superior and so that what we are used to seeing at this point so the "new" gym leaves me with much concern. In addition DD really liked the structure and drive at the other gym and has just now 6 months later finally stopped asking to go back:( Just out of curiousity what gyms out of KC MO do you view as good gyms?

kc elite. and the gym that let al fong work out in. forgot the name at the moment.

My dd is new to gymnastics (level 5) and her gym is fairly relaxed. I actually really like that for her. My gym is not even concerned with scores until our girls hit level 8 (per the coaches). Having said that our upper level girls do very well, and infact many go on to college gymnastics and even get scholarships! There are times when I think that they should be more strict, but then I see the look on my daughter's face when she is having a REALLY good time! I am always glad she is in the gym she is in!!

I would go back to the strict more hard working gym becuase lots of kids needs structure in gymnastics and that hard work to get place in that world.

Ask your daughter! As long as there are no concerns over money,etc. for the reason why you switched, it's her gymnastics, and she will probably know what's better for her. I am assuming she is over 6 years old and at least level 4, by the way. After she tells you what she would rather, talk it over as a family.

Ultimately, though... you're the parent. There were reasons you switched her. From what little you said about your reasons, it sounds like it was stressing your daughter out. She would probably progress faster at the more intense gym, and it sounds like that's what she wants. She's clearly very driven. But if it's at the expense of her emotional well-being, it's not worth it. Talk to her about it... find out what she wants and why. But ultimately make the decision based on what you think is best for your daughter as a complete human being and not just what is best for her gymnastics career.

Is there another gym thats "in the middle"? Good quality, but not over the top w/ stress & expectations? hard work but some fun thrown in???

Good question and one I have asked myself for years. We are at a very relaxed gym but my girls are happy and have fun. We see other gyms do so well but those girls don't often stick around as long or are just under too much stress. My daughters have had friends leave our gym and go to other gyms. Many of them have already given up gymnastics altogether and others are not doing any better than my girls. So long story short, do what feels right for your daughter. If she likes the relaxed atmosphere just remind her to continue to keep in mind all the form type things she learned at her first gym. This sport is so competitive and think of what you actually what her to get out of it. Winning first place or being happy, having fun, gaining confidence, exercise.

Good luck!

Thanks for everyones replies. The idea of a gym more middle of the road seems honestly like the best option. I have asked her and she always says she wants to go back to gym A. She likes her new gym now but as I said the atmosphere is very different. Also add to that she is barely 7 so I know the journey will be long and I want it to be whatever she wants it to be both now and in the future, I guess the question then is, can a more relaxed gym ruin her chances later in life to really excell, should she decide thats what she wants.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back