Gym recommendations - Cary, NC

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

One of DD's teammates just found out that her dad is being transferred to North Carolina. I told her mom that I would try to find some recommendations for gyms in the Raleigh area. They are going to settle in and about Cary, NC. She is a beginner Level 4 and they hoping to find a gym with a culture similar to ours.

Their current gym is very laid back. It is about the kids enjoying the sport. The owner and Level 4 coach treat each and everyone of these girls like their own. Our Level 4's train 10 hours a week but they are encouraged to be kids also. It's not unheard of for the girls to leave Sat practice and hour or so early to go to a birthday party, etc. That being said, they are fairly competitive. They have tehir share of state titles and perform well at meets.

Any one have any recommendations??

There are literally 10 gyms or more within 15 miles of Cary. They range from non-competitive to what I would like to refer to as psycho gyms. I would recommend you look at them your self to find the exact environment you'd like your DD to be in. I'd say spend a week at each one and talk to the owner to feel out where the best fit would be.

I tried to respond yesterday, but my computer was not behaving. Coach Todd sends sound advice. lots of gyms, she should test each one for fit & commute.

Coach Todd is right on! I know of two gyms in the area, but they are seriously INTENSE!!! One of their coaches comes up each summer to work on our girls on their choreography on floor and beam... She is a personal friend of our owner. BUT... Each summer, she causes several of our girls break down in tears due to her really tough coaching. But she absolutely creates BEAUTIFUL routines. The other gym is owned by our owner's brother, and they are really intense as well. BUT both gyms are consistently placing girls in the top at regionals and nationals. It's all with what your child is comfortable with.

Echoing Todd's advice that you check out several gyms, and find one that fits your philosophy.

I can't really give any sort of unbiased reviews, since I coach at one of these gyms (specifically, Apex)

Also take into account that NC has a pretty competitive Prep-Op system (as compared to other states where Prep-op is mainly used as a "minor league" system for girls who can't get onto compulsory teams or who don't want the intensity of comp. In NC, the Prep only teams are often just as competitive as the comp. teams. Some gyms compete both compulsories and Prep while others compete only one. If you are in a gym that competes only Prep-op, you can test out of 5 and 6 to go to level 7.

I am a new ( to the gym not the sport or coaching) coach at apex gymnastics in apex, nc. And I agree that gymnastics in general and coaching styles can be too intense for some children so I agree that she should try as many gyms as she can to find the right fit. I happen to have had 4 russian coaches starting out and then moved on to Tom McCarthy who coached a girl on the 1984 olympic team so yes I understand all about how a gym can feel intense at times. We would love to have her come try our gym. We compete in the prep op program for our lower levels which is something I am new to but have picked up on the fact that yes it is a little more relaxed than the compulsory program I am used to. Along with the fact that NC is a little less intense than some states. I hope she finds a gym she loves!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back