WAG Gym sayings

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

auswi

Proud Parent
So after laughing with @thefellowsmom because we both have the same phrase we use for our gymies ' work hard and have fun ' I thought it might be fun to see which other phrases have evolved

Another phrase used often with Dd is ' Trust the Process.' This has been in use throughout her gymnastics - from the kip days, through the pop -on to trying to catch her Tkatchev ( think it should be called Y catch it? Lol) Now the phrase is being used about her rope climb times ( since when has rope been an apparatus??? thinks the parent :confused:).

Ds is way more cruisey - he is GROWING so his main concern is his mid training snack:)

I also say, "Have fun, work hard!" How cool is that?!

I'll have to think hard about things that I say after meets, after a bad practice, etc. I'm sure I will come up with a list of tried and true sayings.

I told my daughter just this morning that "her biggest competition is herself" when she told me who she thought on her team was her biggest competition.

I always tell her to "have a good practice and work hard." She always has fun out there and don't feel the need to reinforce that.

I tell my daughter I don't give a Sh*t when she gets whatever or even if she gets is. Just do your best. You get it when you get it but you will get it. Honey, its a deduction, just a deduction.

Mine is just "have fun" I think I've added "do your best" a few times before meets. Now that I'm typing that 2nd part I'm not to sure that's the best thing to say. .....

Yeah, before meets she just gets a kiss and a "have fun". Very very casual. We also listen to loud music (she has a specific playlist) in the car so no discussion can happen and she swears by Jordyn Wieber's skittle trick.
DD has a dreamish board in her room with quotes all over it. One of her favorites is...

"Take your worst event and make it your best then take your worst event and make it your best then take your worst event and make it your best then take...." -- regarding what it takes to be a champion.

Sometimes I will catch her getting down on herself and saying "I'm no good at.." and I just say "Take your.." and she starts laughing and is all "I know, I know... make it my best" and then she will go write in her journal about how she is going to make that happen.

Yeah, she's intense :)

So after laughing with @thefellowsmom because we both have the same phrase we use for our gymies ' work hard and have fun ' I thought it might be fun to see which other phrases have evolved

Another phrase used often with Dd is ' Trust the Process.' This has been in use throughout her gymnastics - from the kip days, through the pop -on to trying to catch her Tkatchev ( think it should be called Y catch it? Lol) Now the phrase is being used about her rope climb times ( since when has rope been an apparatus??? thinks the parent :confused:).

Ds is way more cruisey - he is GROWING so his main concern is his mid training snack:)

Also in the "work hard... Have fun" camp ;)

Have fun is always standard. Because if it isn't fun wth are we putting the miles on the car and doing this for hours on end.

As my kid loves to go mental on herself at times because she is very introspective, have fun is reminded often. She lives for gym, is so happy there, but can overthink. The other day I saw a shirt in a store that said:"Don't believe all the things you think." I took a pic of it and showed my dd. She loved it, and thought it was an excellent reminder....:D

have fun, work hard here too,
plus for mine,
Failure is always an option ( she is a perfectionist and hates going out of her comfort zone)
also at meets

I don't care where you come, if you have done your best you are a winner to me !

early in my daughter's training her coach told her, "right now you're killing it, good for maybe level 10. If you want elite, you need to be murdering it." So, now our little saying is, "have fun and murder it" with fist bumps. Before workouts and comps. Seems there is almost always a wink with it, from both of us. ;)

Always just "Have fun out there!" before a meet or practice.

And while carpooling I used to make them give me their 'silliest smile' at drop off because one of the girls would always get seriously stressed about practice. My DD has continued this without prompting. I like it. :) I was once told by a mentor that when I got to work, to make sure I always wore a smile as I walk to the building, in the halls, etc. I think it works, so I tried to pass that along.

Mine is typically "have fun, work hard, learn something".

D's favorite gym saying..."when in doubt, don't kick out"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back