gymboree type classes- 1 year olds

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

In the past we have always accepted kids into our preschool mommy and me class at 2 years old. They stay in this class until they are three and then are allowed to go in on their own. Recently we have had so much interest in a class for kids younger than two (because the gymboree right down the street shut down) that we opened a class for kids 12-24 months. Since I am now coaching this very interesting class I've run into a few struggles. The biggest being that some are nonverbal and most are still mastering walking! I am running out of ideas to keep the class busy, while also changing it up each week. I'm not sure how these type of classes are usually run, but I don't want the parents to think they are just paying for their kids to crawl around ontop of the mats and sing the same old songs each week! Any and all ideas and opinions are welcome! Specifically, if you have any new fun activities or songs.

I'm not a coach, but I did take both my kids to toddler gym at the age of around 18 months. So from a parents perspective I did not expect much in the way of skills learned, they were 1.5 years and like you said learning to walk well and to talk.

In an 45 minute class, they would start with a song and some simple actions, The Wiggles was a big hit. Even non verbal kids could manage after a few weeks to clap hands and jump at the right time in the song.
Lots of obstacle courses, climbing over mats and boxes, log rolls down a wedge, the trampoline was always a big hit, a kiddy swing suspended on the parallel bars. It was very loosly organised, the course was set up and the kids were encouraged to move through it in order, but that did not often happen. They also did simple games like sitting in a circle and rolling a ball from person to person. Throwing bean bags in a big bucket or into a hula hoop on the ground.

It certainly never bothered me if the class activities were repeated from week to week, each time they went to gym was a new adventure for my kids , even if it was exactly the same as the week before. With things like songs and actions I think lots of repetition is needed at that age and I don't think it bothers the kids. Mine actually liked knowing that the "gym songs" were the same week in week out.

I think 12-24 months is too big of an age range in terms of average physical development. I wouldn't take a kid into a class the way most preschool gym classes are structured younger than 18 months, and even then there needs to be an expectation that it's about learning the ropes and fun.

A class for 12-18 months to me would be very guided, lots of circle time and standing exercises for the parents to do with the child. Crawl/play in the pit. Climbing. Very simple circuit. Not to teach anything resembling gymnastics skills really, just to exercise and gain fitness. I've had the same fears you describe, but to be honest my experience is that parents essentially will pay for their kid to crawl on top of mats for an hour - the kids love it, they get tired out, caretaker gets out of the house. As long as the class isn't horrible and you take out new things the kids can use and have a clean space and good attitude, they like it. At 12 months just walking on a mat is a challenge because of the softness and the balance required, etc. Most parents have a pretty good handle on a baby's ability and don't expect that you'll teach them how to do a proper lunge into a handstand or something. They just want a stimulating, new environment.

So basically, I would allow the older babies - maybe 20 months - into the 2 year old class, just trying to keep the age groupings similar if possible (like almost and younger twos, and older twos). And I would have a lower age range on the baby class if possible. At that age the kids just don't have the same physical needs as older toddlers.

but to be honest my experience is that parents essentially will pay for their kid to crawl on top of mats for an hour - the kids love it, they get tired out, caretaker gets out of the house.

EXACTLY !!!! When you are the mum of a toddler and you are in a clean, safe environment where the kids are having fun and they are tired at the end of it, well frankly you are in seventh heaven !!! If there is a coffee shop on the way out that is an added bonus ;)

We have a younger group that they look about the same age as you are speaking. We just have a coach supervise that group and the parent and young toddler go in and the parents have fun playing with them and the coach is there to supervise and make sure they aren't getting hurt or doing something that they are too young to be doing. When they reach age 2 they still have mommy and me class but they start actually doing fun things. They do the balance beam, trampoline, tumble track and bars.

I agree with all the other posters that can be a tough age range. Huge developments happen during those months. And a lot of moms really participate in these programs for the social aspects. I have done some mommy and me swim programs and none of those parents expected me to teach their kids to swim at that age. Im sure there is one parent out there that thinks there 12 month should be learning gymnastics, but gear it towards the social aspect.

I would reccomend trying to group the older more developmentally ready toddlers into the older group. Maybe not say that its 1 year to 2 year olds and 2 year olds to 3 year olds. Rather say its Mommy and Me 1 and Mommy and Me 2. This way if a 18 month old that is walking and talking and ready for more of a challenge can go into one group and a 26 month old that isnt as interested in harder obstacle courses or isnt developmentally ready can be in a different group.

Since its a new class I would also recommend handing out surveys at the end of the next class. Inform parents that it is a new program and you want to make sure they are getting what they would like out of the program.

Some questions to ask could be:
What are you looking to get out of this program?
What would you like to see more of during class?
What would you like to see less of during class?
What outside games or activies have you done that you and your child enjoyed that you think we can incorporate here?

Thank you all for the replies so far! I think when we get more kids in we will be able to split the group up a little. I really like the mommy and me 1 and 2 idea that does not restrict to age. In the meantime though, I have 5 kids 12-16 months and 1 child that is about 20 months, so there are not enough to split into 2 groups.
We structure it into two obstacle courses (where they do not all necesarily move from one thing to the next. Often times they skip things or repeat their favorite part a thousand times. I am fine with this as long as they stay near the group/ at least on the same course.) We also do a stretching warmup that is more about naming body parts than actually stretching. Tramploine and the pit is another part of the class and we either finish with popcorn on the trampoline or parachute. My boss would have a heart attack if I ever allowed an "open gym" type class so that is deffinately not an option lol. I obviously do not expect the focus to be all on gymnastics "skills" so we focus on sharing and interacting with other kids and listening to the teacher and cleaning up things when we finish etc. I am basically just looking to carry a few extra tricks up my sleeve to keep the class entertaining.
I loved the survey idea and I am deffinately going to try that next week.

We only ever did open gym at that age, from walking to 3 years they were allowed free play in the gym (with the parent on the floor supervising) and I was happy to pay the tuition. That gym owner is very risk averse but allowed most children through age 3. DS got kicked out into the class program at 2.5 because he was flipping on the tramp so they just did risk assessment on an individual basis.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back