Parents Gymnast/Coach Ratio

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

9 to 1 is pretty common. The success of the group isn't as dependent on the ratio as it is on the coach's ability to manage them :)

Our coach to gymnast ratio varies from apparatus to apparatus, group to group, and day to day. For instance, today, only L5 & up practice on Wednesday, total of 16 gymnasts on that roster, coach to gymnast ratio 4:1. Monday, the entire team, preteam, & pre-preteam were there and the coach to gymnast ratio was probably upwards of 10:1 for some groups.

My DD's level 3 team was 11:2, but not sure for the upcoming level 4 team she's starting in summer. Waiting to see & crossing my fingers the numbers are similar.

Thursday, our ratio was 41:4. Three of the coaches were teenagers. One of the teenagers is a boy. He is also fairly new to coaching, so he gets a MAX of 7:1 ... so, we had a ratio of 34:3 ... we had 13 of last year's L3s that stayed as a group with one coach MOST of the practice (this coach prefers NOT to coach bars - besides, she is better at vault and floor coaching)... so the rest were at a ratio of 21:2... the Adult coach took the old L4s and that left 9:1 for the last coach :)

It worked out fine... for the most part. When the L3 were on Bars, the coach that was working with them didn't expect YG to be on the high bar of the BIG set of bars getting ready to do a penny drop. She saw her motioning for a girl to move the spotting block (and thought YG wanted to land ON it... but really YG wanted it moved back OUT of the way). She ran over from the other bars saying "No! Stop! That's Dangerous!" YG couldn't figure out why she would think it was dangerous... we talked... I talked to the coach that stopped her (that's when I found out what she thought YG wanted to do)... I talked to YG again (and she said "That would be stupid! I would break my neck if I tried to land on it. That's why I asked 'Mags' to move it back out of the way. Is Coach 'K' crazy?" ... I reiterated to YG that a penny drop is 1- only done with a squishy mat underneath and 2- only done with ADULT supervision ... then I let Coach K know Gabby's real intention (Back in coach's thinking is back out under bar... back in YG's is away from bars) and she was relieved, but still thought YG was crazy to think she could do it since she is little (not knowing that she has only done it about 100 times ... because she is a new coach- 2 or 3 weeks now, but has known YG since she was 2 as her youngest sister and YG are besties at gym)

Ours really depends on the day but usually is about 8:1 or there about. What amazes me sometimes is how the girls figure out that the correction yelled from a coach standing across the floor is actually meant for her!

My oldest dd group ratio is 3:1 (sometimes 1:1 depending on who shows up), my youngest's group is 6:1 (sometimes lower depending who shows up).

3:1- Wow! That's awesome!

My oldest dd is in a disability group and the groups tend to be smaller, we have 4 boys and 3 girls in the group with 2-3 coaches, they girls and boys separate into their own groups to work on the different apparatus.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back