Coaches Gymnast Help - new coach

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a new pre-comp group and I also just came back to coaching gymnastics (its been a few years since I coached last) And everything is a lot different.

I have a couple problems that I am tryign to fix but I do not know how to exactly If ny one could help that would be great!

I have one girl whos hips move in weird ways. Its almost as if her her hips are too flexible. In her back walk over she almost goes to middle splits!!

I have another girl who is very talented but will not go tight, she also has no power in her run or anything she does and she just has me stumped.

I also have a girl who is crazy flexible but not strong enough to have any use for it. She can not hold a hollow position on the bars.

I find a lot of there problems come from not enough back and leg strength. Also where I am from I have noticed that the gymnastics are great on bars and vault, but beam and floor they do not have the power or balance for.

Does any body know any drills or conditioning for any of this. Mainly to make floor ore powerful and beam less messy.

(Also if you have any ideas on how to make a fear of giants disappear that would be great.)

Thanks!
Kory

Lots of basic strength, body shaping, and basic position work. Handstands (against the wall, spotted, handstand shape lying on the floor), tight body work, hollow body holds, nothing too fancy.
Handstands against the wall, have them walk their toes up the wall- stomach facing the wall, and only go as far as they can with a good body position- no archy back, straight arms. Have them hold it as long as they can with good positions and gradually work up to more time.
Hollow body holds- just start with having them lift their shoulders off the ground if they can't hold both their feet and shoulders up.
Have them lie on their backs on the floor squeezing as tight as they can. Try to pick them up by their toes so they stay straight as a board. If they bend at the middle/get floppy have them lie back down and squeeze tighter (usually their butts) and try again to really drive what it feels like to squeeze all over.
Holding push-up positions.
Lots of running and jumping for vault and more handstands. Even if it's just running without a vault or board in sight. Use running games (try to catch the person in front of you, run around the floor in a line- last person tries to sprint to the front of the line). I've had a handful of kids that can't figure out the whole running thing and adding a springboard/vault to the equation just makes the problem even worse.
Just go back to basics and take it slow. All kids develop strength, balance, coordination differently and some will be able to progress faster than others but what you are dealing with is nothing unusual.

Welcome back! In addition to what CoachMolly said. Maybe some leg lifts on bar. Push up bounces on tumble track maintaining the hollow position. Push up walks, calf raises, squats, jumping on and off blocks.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back