Parents Gymnastics camp at a community center?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

pullover

Proud Parent
My 6 year old daughter recently joined an xcel pre team. She is registered for a 2 week long gymnastics and other stuff camp this summer at a local community center. When I signed up for this camp a couple of months ago she was still in a beginner rec class but has since moved up and increased her hours and I can see that the things that she is learning in preteam are very different than what she was doing in a beginner rec class. I know nothing about the coaches or program at the community center and am now concerned about what sort of quality or level it will be. My daughter is by no means advanced in her skill set but she would not be challenged by cartwheels and simple walks on the beam for 2 weeks either. I feel badly pulling her out of this camp b/c she's signed up to do it with a friend. Should I be concerned about the camp or do you think it could be OK or even better that she might learn something (which was my original motivation for signing her up!). I am also kicking myself because I feel like I am missing an opportunity to have her in a preteam camp for a week or two instead where she'd probably really improve in time to start team in the Fall. Tell me if this is a terrible mistake or not!

I don't know if it is a mistake but if she is on team now you might want to consider pulling her 1 of the weeks and having her do the pre-team camp and then letting her go with her friend the other week. You could also call the camp and ask how they handle different levels of gymnasts. If it truly is for the very basic beginners she might be bored for sure. Worth looking into what exactly the camp covers.

Does the community center have a full gym? I doubt it. Usually those types of camps are a panel mat set up, a moveable preschool type bar, and low beams in an open room . Nothing wrong with that for beginners, but I suspect if you're going for gymnastics, rather than social reasons, your money would be better spent elsewhere.

Does the community center have a full gym? I doubt it. Usually those types of camps are a panel mat set up, a moveable preschool type bar, and low beams in an open room . Nothing wrong with that for beginners, but I suspect if you're going for gymnastics, rather than social reasons, your money would be better spent elsewhere.
They do have a real set-up and they give kids gymnastics classes during the year -but the year round classes are all one level and I'm guessing the camp will be too. I feel like I really messed up by registering for this. It's actually quite expensive and if I pulled out I would loose a deposit. I would be willing to loose the deposit -I'm mostly concerned about leaving my daughters friend since we coordinated for the girls to do it together. Oh well.

Yeah, that's a bit of a pickle. I would feel bad pulling out my DD if we had made it a point to coordinate them attending a camp together. I guess I would consider how much it would or wouldn't hurt this particular friend or friend's parents if you backed out. Some people would totally understand, and their kid would be fine and make new friends, but some would be mad at you for hurting their kid's feelings, especially if the other kid is more of a wallflower and your DD's presence would really make the difference for her.

Tough call.

The upside is, though she likely won't be learning anything new at this beginner camp, it won't hurt anything (but your wallet perhaps). She's only 6, and depending on her personality, she might like to show off her budding new skills to her friend, or just play around and be a kid for a couple weeks. She's likely to have a fun time.

I do like the other poster's idea of pulling out one of the two weeks to attend the other camp. Maybe that would ease the disappointment of said friend.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back