Parents Gymnastics Hair Styles on Pinterest

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I hate messy buns. Messy buns look messy. Gymnasts should be smart. If I saw a kid with a messy bun show up in front of me as a judge I would think. Hmmm this kid cant even do their hair neatly. I wouldn't be expecting any straight legs or pointed toes..........

Maybe its cultural ?

I know some of the teens in our gym do the whole messy bun thing for school ( they are in Big Boy's Class), but they are smooth and sleek for comps - its just a no-no

Trying to imagine coach's face if any of our girls turned up for a comp with a messy bun :mad::mad::mad::mad::eek::eek::eek::eek: I genuinely don't think they'd let them compete and represent the gym like that.

A few started trying it for practice, but after a few sessions the coach lined them up and re-did their hair for them in a neat 'do'. I think that was the end of it!

any recommendations for hair paste?brands? (fine, thin hair if that matters)

thanks!

I need to start practicing a bun for DD hair. Her gym requires it for competition. She has very fine hair and bangs we are growing out. Any tips?

I'm pretty hair-challenged, but what I can do I've learned to do by watching youtube videos.

http://www.cutegirlshairstyles.com/

I
find this site great for teaching me how to do different things. (Once I got past the cultural difference in the use of the word 'cute'.) There are lost of weird do's one here, but I think you can search by 'sport' or something and you get lots of options. And yes, I have sat and watched the 'how to' videos as they gave me much more confidence in handling DD's waist length hair.

We do a bun for practice, but when she needs that extra bit of perking up we do a high ponytail, pslit into 4 and plait, and then loop each plait up and use another band to hold them in place. The scrunchie that matches the leotard covers any messy ends and the style is easy but much admired by her friends.

I hate messy buns. Messy buns look messy. Gymnasts should be smart. If I saw a kid with a messy bun show up in front of me as a judge I would think. Hmmm this kid cant even do their hair neatly. I wouldn't be expecting any straight legs or pointed toes..........

Me too. "Tight hair = tight gymnastics". This has been in every gym handbook I have ever read.

My dd has always had a ballet type bun. Nice and clean. But when she travelled with her team without me she was forced to do it herself. So now she does a clean nice pony. She can't do that nice bun on her own :(

Here is the best I could find without showing dd's face. I think it will give you a good idea. DD has very long hair (down to her lower back).
hair1.jpg
I had to have more hair loose down her neck so that her braids wouldn't be too long an bounce too much. We just cut four in off her hair so this year will likely be much shorter for her loose hair on neck.

Yes, I do the "two braid" bun. Actually, I do a "two twist" bun, which I think looks really pretty. The trick to the twist is that you have to twist the individual sections in the opposite direction as you are wrapping them together. So while I'm doing it I'm telling myself "twist to the right, cross over to the left, twist to the right, cross over to the left." If you twist and cross in the same direction, it will unwind immediately. I use a hair net to keep it all together, which makes it less pretty because it kind of squishes it. The last few meets her bun came loose inside the net. I do have those "hair screws", so maybe I'll have to try them. I didn't trust them enough to try them out on a meet day. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong that the bun keeps coming un-bunned? I stick a bunch of bobby pins in it and use lots of hair gloop/spray. Is there a trick to bobbypinning a bun so that it won't come out? I never trust myself enough not to use the hair net because I'm not confident that the bun will stay in.

For their competitions this past weekend I did the 2 twists in a bun. I got the idea from that princess hair site and it worked really, really well for both of my girls. I think that the trick to getting the bun to stay up well was to tie the two twists into a knot, then to wrap the first one around, bobby pinning as you go. Then the other one, bobby pinning as you go. For a competition I'm doing a hair net because I want to make sure that it stays. My younger DD has long and really, really thick hair. Older DD has shoulder blade length hair that is on the thin side. It worked for both of them.

For my older DD I can't do any of the bun maker type things, it just makes her bun way too big. As it is, just with her hair, she had a really big one! Both of my girls don't like the twisty pins, they say that it hurts when they roll over the bun. For my older DD I did this bun maker last year
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...eIvUo3uE5Gm9gSCxIG4CA&ved=0CDwQ9QEwAg&dur=926

I also stock on hair pins when I can find them. I find that I go long stretches of time where I can't find them, so buy a ton when I do.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Styling-Essentials-Black-Hair-Pins-100-ct/12444273

I like to use those and bobby pins for the bun, it really seems to hold in better IMO.

I like the style! how does your dd say it feels when she is moving around? We found that if it was too long, the braids really banged around and bothered dd .

It's a bit longer now, but it doesn't bother her as much as a ponytail! I make them shorter by hiding hair under the scrunchy!

MaryA, how about a small french braid going across the front and into a bun or ponytail? It's not too hard (and I am hair-challenged too!), and it adds a little something to a plain bun or ponytail. My DD also has super fine/thin hair.

MaryA, how about a small french braid going across the front and into a bun or ponytail? It's not too hard (and I am hair-challenged too!), and it adds a little something to a plain bun or ponytail. My DD also has super fine/thin hair.

I often do that one for P&F for practice as it keeps the front whispy bits in

I hate to ask again in this thread but I'm hoping someone can recommend a hair paste that will get the slickness & clear shine of, say, Aliya Mustafina.

All the compulsories have to wear a slicked back ponytail with tight ringlets and optionals wear a slicked ponytail with loose curls at our gym.

All the compulsories have to wear a slicked back ponytail with tight ringlets and optionals wear a slicked ponytail with loose curls at our gym.

I don't understand these gyms that require tight ringlets. What if your kid's hair simply won't do that? My daughter's hair won't hold a curl, period.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back