Off Topic Gymnastics Memorabilia

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what kind of gymnastics memorabilia you guys might have, or know of.. Personally I subscribed to International Gymnast for a number of years (although I think all my old issues were thrown out :( )

Does anyone have any old magazines, Codes of Points, or have any other ideas??

I am writing a thesis on the history of women's gymnastics until about 1996, and am trying to find some useful material.

Although, it would be pretty interesting to see what gymnastics material people have collected anyway!

I think I have a FIG CoP circa 1979, and an IFSA (international federation of sports acrobatics) CoP from 1989.

No idea why I keep them, but I do like to flick through now and again :)

I have some other stuff I think, but it's mainly personal- competition entry books, score cards, coaching course stuff, from about 1990-1996. My mum had a habit of throwing away all my "gymnastics junk". I had a fab collection of 80's posters and collection of "the Gymnast" she persuaded me to throw away when she redecorated my room.

Ooooooh Faith, you haven't got the skills for the "old" BAGA badges have you ? I'm assuming you are a similar vintage to me. I was trying to explain to Pink and Fluffy that back in the day you had to do a little bit more for your badges and the bottom badge required a through vault (I think).

I was looking online but can't find them.

'Margo

Oh do you know I had all those posters, but with it being the living at home era they got thrown out, along with my personally signed Red Arrows poster. Devastated still :p

I found these, but I think they're the generation after us- they look very familiar, but I don't remember the kitekat bit, and there appears to be a 5 and 6 badge I don't recognise....

BAGA4.jpgBAGA3.jpgBAGA2.jpgBAGA1.jpg

ETA: wasn't the sponsor before Kitekat The Sunday Times? I vaguely remember the logo on the badges.
Ooh that's got me thinking- wasn't it the Weetabix young gymnast of the year comp? In the Albert Hall where the Vault didn't fit? Carita House! Do they still make leotards? They were the first to do "silkskin" lycra, a revelation after the uncomfortable cotton ones ....

Oh yes, as far as I know Carita house are still going.

I was telling Pink and fluffy that our floor was those green mats with the egg box foam on the bottom. And the vault was a horse.

Yep they were sponsored by the Sunday Times, badge 4-1 - I was also telling her about the bruises on your hips from clattering into the lower bar :starry-eyed:

Where on earth did you find those ?

They start at 8 now - (Can you stand up straight, here have a badge), but are broadly similar.

ps, just been looking up the Ã…land Islands on Wiki :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back