Parents Gyms in Raleigh NC

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi,

Anyone know of any good gyms in the Raleigh NC area? Considering an out of state move and would like to check out options for my dd. Something not super competitive would fit her needs. She is current level 4 now but due to move to new level 4.

Hi,

Anyone know of any good gyms in the Raleigh NC area? Considering an out of state move and would like to check out options for my dd. Something not super competitive would fit her needs. She is current level 4 now but due to move to new level 4.

Sonshine Gymnastics - Gymnastics in Holly Springs, NC

I've seen them at optional meets and they seem very well coached with good success. I do not know them personally and have never talked with any of them.

Everest gymnastics is NOT in Raleigh, closer to Charlotte. But they have extremely talented gymnasts all the way through all optional levels.

I'm sure others with more direct experience will reply.

Premier is also a very good gym. They have a lot of very good gymnasts.

NC had a lot of great gyms. If you are not looking for something super competitive then I would stay away from Everest, Southeastern and High Point. They are highly competitive gyms with amazing gymnasts but are picky about who they accept on their teams.

If I remember correctly, your daughter has struggled with anxiety? As other posters have said, NC has a lot of really good gyms, some of which are very intense. You may want to check out some "lesser known" gyms. I have seen some very tough coaching at optional meets. You will want to be careful to pick a place that is a good fit for your dd. Good Luck!

Yes she deals with anxiety. We moved her to a YMCA team and she has been great! We have no idea if we are going to move for sure yet. I don't think there are any YMCA teams in that area of NC. I think she could handle more intense training but what she really can't handle is a coach that yells a lot. Any less intense suggestions would be great.

Team Attraction (in Apex, NC) and Raleigh School of Gymnastics are two other gyms in that area. I don't have direct experience with either but have seen them at meets and both go into the optional levels.

Is NC the state that gets ripped on here (CB) by coaches and parents for having some major competition bias?

I'm sure nc is not the only state, but yes, there have been several posts about this.

Sent from my ADR6400L using ChalkBucket mobile app

Is NC the state that gets ripped on here (CB) by coaches and parents for having some major competition bias?

By competition bias, do you mean inflated scores for their own gymnasts? I looked at their State meet results for level 10 and saw in one age group, the top 7 girls have 38+ and 37s go down to 13th place (!) ; the next age group had a 39+ (!!!) with the next 6 girls in the 38/37 range ; and then the oldest age group had "only" 3 girls in the 38/38 range and I thought, "are they really this good in this State or what?"

By competition bias, do you mean inflated scores for their own gymnasts? I looked at their State meet results for level 10 and saw in one age group, the top 7 girls have 38+ and 37s go down to 13th place (!) ; the next age group had a 39+ (!!!) with the next 6 girls in the 38/37 range ; and then the oldest age group had "only" 3 girls in the 38/38 range and I thought, "are they really this good in this State or what?"

If you look at their regional/national scores, you will get an idea. I think that the scores are pretty consistent across all three. There are a few powerhouse gyms in the state who always do very well. So, yes, they are that good :) I think the bias contention comes from not scoring all the girls (gyms) by the same standards. more lenient on the typically highest scoring gyms, more critical on the rest. (i believe the adopted term from chalkbucket is leotard bias). But judging is so subjective and they see things very differently than people in the stands or even the coaches who will admittedly have a bias toward their own gymnasts. So I don't really know how true it really is. I would say that there is a definite bias benefiting the younger girls, but I would think that occurs across the country.

Thanks for posting this question.....my family is also strongly considering a move to Raleigh. We'd like a solid program with a strong optional program that has a history of progressing gymnasts successfully, but coaching that is not over the top (yelling at meets - forget it). I am a big believer in having talented, postive kids in the program as that inspires my DD to up her game as well. She's been lucky with that around her to date.
Googling around I found Superior Gymnastics in Morrisville with a TOPs program - anyone know about that gym?

I trained/coached in the Raleigh area for more than 15 years!

Check your PM box.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back