Coaches Hand Lotion - which?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Advice from the gallery is asked: What hand lotion would you suggest be available in the gym for athletes and staff? Eliminate the offering and discourage use post UB's.

Set-up: The JO and Xcel athletes leave UB's and are asked to wash their hands. Almost all lotion their hands. At this time of the year in the US's upper states the temps are frequently cooler below zero and the humidity drops. The athletes hands get red, chapped and at their worst cracked hands. Crazy, but their palms suffer less than the tops or sides. In consideration we have lotion dispensers in the locker room and in the bathrooms in the gym for use after UB's.

Challenges: I do not wish to have glycerin or petroleum jelly type (slippery and greasy products) on all of our equipment. Petroleum jelly is a moisture insulator and better used away from the gym. Certainly staying away from alcohol distillates on the ingredient list is desired. I believe I need a humectant (attract water from air) or restorative material. I visited a local pharmacist this afternoon and he was perplexed by my question. No advice, but said he would ask around

What moisturizing cream to use during gym time or even during the day? Sage advice?

Best to all from the cold dry northern climate, SBG -

I have no idea without picking the bottles up and reading the ingredients. I know a lot of the girls are our gym use Burt's bees. Especially the balm after bars. It is more natural than most of them. Maybe you could also suggest the only put in on the back if their hands.

If you aren't keen on petroleum jelly (not surprisingly!) then your options are limited, especially combined with budget. Petroleum is a cheap and convenient base for most skin products.

So your'e left with, to the best of my knowledge, beeswax based product, like Burts Bees. Olive oil based products, such as Neals Yard (if you have that in the US). Thirdly there is Lanolin based. They tend to be on the expensive side though. I believe Aloe Vera is also a good humectant, if you can find it in the absence of Petroleum.

Most of my knowledge of this sort of stuff is UK products, so I don't know how much help I can be. My kids have always been sensitive to petroleum, so I have to buy alternatives.

They have a new spray Vaseline that's supposed to be easily absorbed. I haven't tried it though, but you could look at reviews online.

The best lotions tend to be fairly pricey: aquaphor, cetaphil, eucerin, extra healing stuff. I'm basing this on what I've heard from a friend whose children have a skin condition that can lead to painful cracks in the skin.

I have eczema and my hands get so dry that they crack all the time in the winter. They even bleed sometimes! The one I like the best is the Aveeno naturals one. There is glycerin in it, but it seriously doesn't feel greasy at all and it enters the skin pretty fast.

I wouldn't buy cream with urea in it. When you have really dry skin, it burns.

And I understand you for the cold... It was -39 Fahrenheit degrees here today. Kids don't even get to go outside during recesses.

Way too much invested in equipment to allow anything other than clean hands and feet on it. I don't allow any moisturizing lotions to be applied at gym, but highly recommend it when they are on their own time. Just my two cents.

I would just recommend that they apply lotion daily at home to help prevent painful cracks and dry skin which can make hands more susceptible to rips. Give parents a list of options if you want (or things to stay away from- like super fragrant lotions with alcohol based scents) and let them do the hunting for a lotion that works for their child.
I am prone to incredibly dry skin and am also sensitive to lots of commercial lotions, so I stick to natural stuff- blends of natural oils and butters. I'm fortunate that a family friend produces her own lotions. Plain cocoa and shea butters, as well as coconut oil are great for dry skin- but probably not great to apply at the gym.
And applying gobs of lotion before bed and covering with socks or mittens is always a good plan.

Way too much invested in equipment to allow anything other than clean hands and feet on it. I don't allow any moisturizing lotions to be applied at gym, but highly recommend it when they are on their own time. Just my two cents.

After, visiting our pharmacist again this morning I concur with Gymanity above. Nothing short of some really expensive hydration creme came to light after our search. I will print out a general care handout for team girls this evening and instruct staff of the change.

If I can identify a hand lotion that will not "Mess" with the equipment, I will change the above policy and update this post.

Thanks for the responses folks. I will include several of the products, suggested above and off-line, as options to the athletes for care at home.

Thanks again, SBG -

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back