Hand Lotion

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Salto

Gymnast
Okay this is kind of a stupid question but do your coaches let you put on hand lotion? I overheard my coach saying that hand lotion is bad for gymnasts hands, it makes them rip more. Is this really true??? Do your coaches have anything to say about hand lotion?:jump:

Could care less as long as it isn't in gym. Most hands will end up getting chalked up on bars. Some people's hands are more naturally than others anyways.

Ashy hands would probably rip easier.

Never heard that one.

I've asked gymnasts not to wear lotion at gym (slippery hands on beam = bad, legs so slippery I can't spot your HS pushups = bad).

Personal experience, some lotion outside of the gym is good. Keeps calluses and healing rips from cracking (ouch).

My coaches never allowed hand lotion BEFORE bars, for fear of slipping and that our hands would become too soft and rip. Lotion afterwards was never a problem. However aloe vera gel or vitamin E was recommended over say, shea butter because it wasn't greasy and non-scented.

This is o funny because when I put my lotion on my legs, I try not to use my hands! It probably doesn't even matter but it's just something I do that I think will "help" !

Gymnasts who do not take care of their hands miss an awful lot of training. Male gymnasts have more support and hanging event work (PH, Pbars, Rings, and High Bar) so hand care can be a huge issue. Here is the advice I've always given to the guys I have coached:

1. Don't over do it - when your hands begin to feel like they are going to rip - they ARE! So say something!!! There are plenty of other things that can be worked on. Steadily/gradually the skin of the hands will toughen up and the amount of time on events will lengthen... AS LONG as you avoid the rip-heal-rip cycle.
2. Take care of your hands - avoid rips but also minimize the risk by maintaining good skin health:
A. When a callus builds up - especially when it forms a noticeable "ridge" - use a pumice stone to gently grind it down. A pumice stone works best on DRY skin. Don't use it right after washing your hands.
B. Keep your hands clean - wash them before and after workout with warm water and soap. It's especially important to wash your hands immediately after workout. Magnesium Carbonate effectively absorbs the oil in our skin... If you leave it on the hands for prolonged periods after practice the skin around your nails may crack/split and THAT can be very painful.
C. keep your hands moisturized between workouts - any skin lotion that contains "lanolin" (animal oil) is great.

Many Olympic caliber gymnasts put a lanolin-containing lotion on their hands at night and wear cut-off (no fingers) cotton gloves to bed to soften the thick calluses - especially those on the heels of the hands (from PH and Pbar work).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back