WAG Handspring Vault - Chest Up?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am seeking drills that 7 year olds can do to correct chest position in handspring vault when jumping on board.They are fast runners and hard jumpers (for the most part) but all seem to lean too far forward on the board. Verbal corrections of "keep your chest up" and "stand up straighter" are not cutting it.Would love some drills or tips to correct this....thanks in advance :)

For me, anyway, saying "chest up" did not make sense, while saying "feet in front of you on the board" and variations of that produced the correct body position. We also did drills with a spring board where you just hurdle onto the board and try to go backwards ​in your rebound.

Dive rolls! Set up 8 inchers stacked up or a rezie pit behind the vault and have them do dive rolls over the vault (eventually at least). Great drill!

My 7 year old does front layouts for vault (at first just into loose foam, but now they actually land them). They also do a cool drill on the rod floor where the springboard is stack up at an angle so the bouncy part is a couple feet raised and they punch on the rod floor, put their hands on the spring board and "vault" onto a resi. Not sure if that makes sense...

Stack of mats about 42" high with a springboard up against it. Have them run, depending on their ability, about 3 to six steps....and punch to a rebound that lands standing up on the mat. It makes them hurdle lower and arrive to the punch with their feet in front and hands held back, because any other position and they'll just "fall" off the board and end up bellying into the stack.

The stack height can be adjusted to compensate for any size kid, but don't make it too short because some kids tend to drift into a forward rotation. This drill isolates the punch to get the right idea accross to the kids but it's not the final destination, so you have to follow up the with front layouts dunno suggests.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back