WAG Has an alternate ever been used at the Olympics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mrs. Puma

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
I tried to look for some info on this and didn't see much, so I figured you guys wiser than me would know. Just curious! What a strange spot to be in as an alternate...it must be disappointing to know you were so close, but still-what an experience! (I assume they travel with the team?) And you obviously can't wish for someone to get hurt, but you do want your shot...also, they must have to train as if they are competing, right? It must be a whirlwind of emotions!

For the men, 2 alternates were used 2008. I think 2 travel, and both stepped up..

I forget now what year and who but on the Made in America shorts on YouTube there were alternates that they did have to use. Now I gotta go back and find it, lol.

I know Morgan White in 2000 was injured just before competition and the alternate was used in her place. I don't think it's the only time for the US women.

One year at womens worlds they had to use 2 alternates and brought in another. Chellsie Memmel was brought in and won a world medal when she wasn't even named to the team.

Yes, at 08 Olympics both Hamm brothers got injured and they used 2 of 3 alternates, being the last alternate (David Durante, I think) would have been brutal!

Reactions: sce
I forget now what year and who but on the Made in America shorts on YouTube there were alternates that they did have to use. Now I gotta go back and find it, lol.
I still need to watch those!! Darn that time warp in my house...arrrrr

Whoa! What do they do if someone gets hurt last minute? Isn't that the point of an alternate? I guess if it happened even the night before they'd be able to get her there though.

Whoa! What do they do if someone gets hurt last minute? Isn't that the point of an alternate? I guess if it happened even the night before they'd be able to get her there though.

Yep they fly them out if they are needed, the personal coaches have to pay for themselves as well!

Keeping everything crossed nothing happens to any of the GB team members without anyone on immediate standby, not exactly a quick flight over there!
I might be wrong, but I think there is a certain point they can't sub in the alternates. I'm not sure how far in advance of competition. But, I'm pretty sure if someone gets hurt the first day of Olympic competition you can't bring in a sub.

I might be wrong, but I think there is a certain point they can't sub in the alternates. I'm not sure how far in advance of competition. But, I'm pretty sure if someone gets hurt the first day of Olympic competition you can't bring in a sub.

As far as I understand, once the competition begins they Cabot use the alternate. But up until then they could put in the alternate. I believe Morgan White within days of the competition. She was already in the Olympic Village.

I know for the 2008 games it was 24 hours before competition (when the US women alternates had to train in Japan due to visa issues). I'm not sure if it's changed since then.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back