Parents Head coach doesn't want my DD on the team.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well the Gym you checked out sounds like a great option for her!!

I think the gym she is at at the moment sounds like an unhealthy place for a young child (or any for that matter) in her situation.

Good luck

You have to go with your gut....I was in the same situation.......Owner of old gym did not like me....the coach told me that my daughter was not ready for level 4 even though another coach she'd worked with all summer said she was. We moved and my daughter has won the last 6 AA titles in level 4 and is consistently earning AA scores in the mid 37's. Ready?? Well the results speak for themselves.....Your daughter will thrive in another environment!!

Check your current gym policies on notice required--our gym requires 2 weeks, so give that. If your daughter tells her coaches and they ask, let them know why. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Given the situation described, I would cut my losses with the May payment and move on and tell them AFTER you leave....they have made it clear that they don't like/want your daughter or you so if they squack about being caught unaware then too bad. I would move her sooner than later because you said the new gym seemed excited about her and she seemed to like it there too, so hit while the iron is hot!!!

I've said this in other posts but when you even question if you should move gyms, you should have done it 6 months to a year ago. It boils down to a business decision...what is the best place for my child, period.

I am not a former gymmie, just a mom and my experience is purely from my youngest doing gymnastics. So not really knowing how to tell how my daughter would be progressing, (other than comparing her to others and watching her grow), I would probably go ahead and take her to the other gym. You know her best and if she seems bored now another year without progression is not going to be fun.
It's really a shame that these two gyms have a "feud", and I do agree that they are in it to make money, and that the rumors will fly, but it's all good experience within the competitive world of gymnastics and this is pretty mild stuff. It's not your concern what kind of rivalry these two gyms have. You are a paying customer, and if you were told one thing and that got changed, you have the right to know why, and to look at alternatives. Your concern is obviously that your gymmie doesn't get bored or upset from being let down. She is only at level 3 which at most gyms isn't even a team, but she should be enjoying herself at this point while she is progressing and learning. It was wrong to tell you she was going to be moved up, only to change their minds. If they have been coaching her, they already know what her personality is, and that she may need to focus, so that would be a lame excuse for me.
Be realistic though, and talk to the coaches from both gyms to decide on what is right for her. As mentioned by NotAMom, it's hard sometimes to make the right decision. My gymmie got moved up last year prior to the competition season because she got a couple of skills for the next level. The result=we had a rough season, she didn't score well, got frustrated and wanted to quit. So we are repeating the same level for the coming season, even though most of her teamates are moving up. She can still uptrain, and hopefully have a successful competition season, and get back to feeling good about where she is at.

I would have a meeting with HC. It is level 3. How "skilled" does she need to be. It sounds like she could do level 4. I would say in no uncertain terms that you do not want her subjected to cruelty for another year. If we don't stand up for our kids at the lower levels, we won't stand up for them later. Let HC personally evaluate her, bring up her 2nd highest all around score.

It is not o.k. to verbally abuse any child, but especially a young child. I've been through similar situations and was way to compliant. To do it all again, I would be much more the customer rather than a sheep "following the gyms recommendations."

I hope your DD has a great year.

UPDATE - We were called into the office last night after class by DD's coach. She told us she knew we were planning to switch gyms, and that she understood why we were unhappy. She explained why she always yells at DD so much; she sees a lot of talent and potential in DD, but feels that DD is not putting forth enough effort. She told me that she thinks DD is the best in her class skill-wise, but that she needs to try harder. She wants to see 100% effort all the time. She offered that DD stay and do another year of preteam. She thinks DD would be able to go level 4 in the Fall of '11 or possibly level 5.

I told her that I felt DD had made a poor impression on the HC in the past, and that I feel DD will never have a fair chance because of that. I want DD to have a clean slate. Also, I feel she needs to be learning new skills, not just perfecting "old" skills she has been learning for the past two years. Even though perfecting the basics is extremely important, she is 6, and needs to have some fun. The only time I've seen her really excited at the gym lately is when they have been learning new things (they just started back walkovers and back handsprings and DD was thrilled; she is also enjoying learning the routine for their upcoming show.) If we stay for another year, she will be starting all over again with the skills she has learned for the past two years. They will be new skills to most of the other girls, and DD will probably be bored and continue to appear unmotivated.

DD's coach told us we were always welcome to come back if things at the other gym don't work out. She agreed that trying something new may be good for DD. I said that we would try the other gym for the summer, and then let DD make the decision as to if and where she would like to continue with gymnastics.

Weel that sounds like the most perfect situation you could ask for. An open and honest coach who will leave the door open for your child to return if she wishes, what more could you want?

Good luck with the new gym, hpefully a new environment is more motivating for your gymmie.

(I know I'm not supposed to post in this section, but I want to put in my 2 cents)

I'd pull her now, without waiting. Kids pick up on this sort of negativity quite easily. I think she's likely to be miserable for the remaining month if she sticks around.

Glad that it is now all out in the open and that the coach and you were able to say what was on your minds. Communication is key :chat:. Hope your DD enjoys the summer then see what she says in the fall :eek:ptimist:.

Glad it's out in the open now--sounds like the move will go smoothly. Let us know how you like the new gym after she starts!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back