Off Topic "Healthy" sport drinks

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All Chalked Up

Coach
Gymnast
Just wondering if there is a certain brand/recipe of sport drinks that is healthier than your average athlete-targeted Kool-Aid *rolls eyes*

I become dizzy easily & I hate drinking water during practice, so the extra salt/sugur would keep me from getting dizzy (I find gaterade helps with this but it has so much crap in it, hence my need for a healthier version, plus it's expensive) & possibly encourage me to drink more.

In a four hour practice I will drink 250mL at most.

Ideas/advice?

I would really just try and drink more water to be honest, you need lots of water or you will destroy your kidneys

Well this isn't much of a sports drink..but I like to drink those naked smoothie things during practice because they're healthy and are good for low energy!

My favorite is to put 10 ounces of water into a 20 ounce water bottle, and then fill it the rest of the way with the key ingredient....... more water. In my reasoned and humble opinion it's the best way of staying hydrated.

Sports drinks may have sugar, and drinking them may give you a temporary lift. But.... when the sport drink's sugar supply runs out you'll be left with one very ticked off metabolic system that'll scream for more sugar, and stomp it's feet in a way that crashes your energy level.

If you want an all around boost try any of these........ Eat a tomato or tomato slices for the right kind of sugar and water source..... Tomato juice or tomato juice cocktail mixes are a more potent means of getting tomato benefits......

Flavor 20 ounces of water with 1 ounce lemon juice concentrate sweetened with a 3 ounces of of grape or apple juice.... sip it slowly and constantly throughout practice to avoid a big sugar blast.

Don't hitch your wagon to just one pony. Eat a small snack one hour before practice and mid way through practice. Try to put together a combination that provides 40 protein calories, 80 fat calories, and 40 sugar calories in the form of complex carbohydrates.

Maintaining your energy and hydration through both strategies will keep you pretty skippy through the whole practice, and leave you with some reserves to help you make it to dinner, or midnight snack if you train too long. ;)

MY favourite post run drink is water with lime juice. Just love that stuff. I buy lime juice by the bottle, tap water is free too. NO wonder they call us Brits Limeys.

I remember the drink of choice at the end of term in the student bar was a lime and Soda Bog - used to cost 6p a pint :eek:, mind you when I went to uni a pint f Cider was only £1 - ah those were the days ...............lol

1GBP tequila sunrises at the Manchester Poly SU bar. Was also a fan of the soda/lime cordial pint. I think we might be the same age!

Studies are showing chocolate milk to be the new sports drink. My DD tends to get dehydrated and her DR suggested alternating the Choc Milk with water during practice and also eating a few salty snacks with the drink. Seems to have worked.

After recommendations here, we've done chocolate milk after practices for dd and they're great. She gets sick if she eats in the car, but the chocolate milk gives her protein, sugar, and liquid (though she's usually already gone through a lot of water at practice) until we can get home for a real meal. I'm not sure about drinking milk during practice though; might it bother your stomach? But I LOVE the idea of lime juice in water. I get sick of plain water too, and that might be just the thing. I think I'll try it at work tonight.

We frequently do chocolate milk as well. It is a good thing for her to have on the drive from swim team to gymnastics practice and is a good thing to have at swim meets. I would give it to her at gym meets but there's that whole prissy outfit, stain factor and those pretty blue floors that we don't have to deal with poolside :)

I take a thermos of hot chocolate to gym with me, its cooled down enough for her to drink on the way home in the car, saves 15 mins at the home end so she can get to bed that bit earlier.

A lot of people use "muscle milk" or other protein drinks. They are high in calories though. There is no subsitute for good ol water. Just make yourself. I love it cause my throat dries out. I drink nearly a gallon per practice. I learned in medic school if you ae going to drink gatoraid you should do half water half gatoraid

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using ChalkBucket mobile app

We use chocolate (soy) milk for after practice/workout.

DD just drinks water, but I share your dislike of too much water during a workout. One thing I've learned is that while I normally prefer water ice cold, that's less preferably in the midst of a workout, and tends to tick my stomach off. Room temperature water is better in that context. Alternately, try mixing a little bit of something with the water - Gatorade or whatever you prefer. It doesn't take much to give it enough flavor, but not turn it into a sugar delivery system. You might not like it as much at first, but it's easy to get used to, and a little sugar and salt makes it easier on my stomach. Also note that many of the major brands (Gatorade included) have now started varying their offerings. You can get them with much less sugar, and can often get them with all natural ingredients instead of the normal chemical cocktail they offer. Even then, water them down.

If you're getting dizzy, you might want to look at your diet before working out. Try to ensure that you're getting more complex carbs that will provide longer lasting energy.

Any alternatives for us lactose intolerant/milk allergy people?Ive tried lactose free chocolate milk but even that doesn't end so well...Anything else to try?

Any alternatives for us lactose intolerant/milk allergy people?Ive tried lactose free chocolate milk but even that doesn't end so well...Anything else to try?
2/4 in our house drink soy milk. Also comes in chocolate. I believe almond milk is supposed to be good, but I have a tree nut allergy, so I avoid it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back