WAG Help, gym hrs being cut. What to do. Lv 4 usag

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Cindi

Proud Parent
like the title said, my dd gym hours are getting cut from the already low 8 he week to 6 hrs. (Short coaches) there are are no other gyms in town. Next closest all around is 2 hrs drive. I already have reached out to them to ask if they can do anything on the side as a private without to much of a conflict for their gym. (We have no team contract) they are dragging their feet. We have cheerleading gyms in town. Could they help. It will it just mess up my dd's form on things?
Any advise please help.

I don't have a lot of advice. But I can offer sympathy. My DD only gets 12 hours at L7 in her gym. Next closest one is over an hour away and not feasible with my other 3 children. And I don't even want to attempt 50 miles of interstate on bad roads half the year. Plus they train less hours than ours. We have never done privates, because our coach won't do them. I don't know if the cheer gym would help with anything except for tumbling maybe....

Hopefully your coach will be receptive to privates. Maybe they will just commit to ones if the girls are struggling with something specific, rather than regular ones.

Our girls very much hold their own in our state. Even in some neighboring ones. Could we send a girl college? No. But, it is important to remember that quality vs. quantity is what matters. That's what I repeat to myself all the time when I get frustrated with lack of hours compared to some.

Thanks for the vote of sympathy, I just don't want to hurt her gymnastics, but she lives it and wants to do it as much as possible. She does ok on competitions, but she's already one of the best in her gym for her level. And with less hours I don't think she'll be able to progress at the rate that I think she wants to Ugh.

Also, tumbling is her week spot, so maybe it might benefit my DD?
Any input on format? Will cheerleading hurt her gymnastic form? It is competitive cheerleading, but I don't know anything about standards of cheerleading

Any input on format? Will cheerleading hurt her gymnastic form? It is competitive cheerleading, but I don't know anything about standards of cheerleading

I know nothing about cheerleading :( We don't have any competitive cheerleading around here.

Don't go to a cheer gym. The really don't focus on form and technique. Bad habits will definitely creep in. My DD did three years of all star cheer, so I've been to many competitions and know what their technique and form looks like.

I would ask your gym if they can provide any open gym time, or give her a conditioning list to do at home.

Does your gym have a tumbling class she could take? I only practice 6 hours a week for xcel silver, so I take a tumbling class on Saturdays to get some extra practice in.

We've had no experience with cheer but I have heard that yes cheer can mess up gymnastics form. There are some great cheer gyms out there but I've also seen some with some scary tumbling and their girls are always battling injuries. I don't think I would go that route. I understand your frustration though. Is this temporary or a permanent thing? If it's only going to be for a couple of months until they can find another coach then I would probably just try it ride it out. I'm so sorry you don't have any other options closer to you, that would probably be what I would suggest if things don't get better in the coming months but it doesn't seem like that would be an option for you. If most of the girls already have all of their skills than 6 hours a week will probably be enough for them to clean them up and compete but wouldn't leave much room for learning anything new.

Does your gym have a tumbling class she could take? I only practice 6 hours a week for xcel silver, so I take a tumbling class on Saturdays to get some extra practice in.
I'll have to check. Good idea. I am afraid though that she may be much higher skill than the other tumblers only. What do you think?

Could her group be combined with a level 3 or level 5 group to help keep up the hours?
My dd is a level 7, and if we know she's going to be out then she will pick up a day with the 6's or 8's.

That's why I asked. Thank you. I was afraid of that.
Well I'll update if I come up with any options.
Thanks all.

I assume this is temporary as they are short coaches?

Have you asked what the plan is?

It seems that higher level competitive gymnastics is just not available in your area. So my advice - accept that and find your daughter activities which complement gymnastics. Maybe dance classes or track.

Reactions: sce
Are they looking for more coaches? It's tough to manage L4 on hours that low, much less move forward. I agree that adding time elsewhere for strength and conditioning could help, and that going to a cheer gym would not.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back