Parents Help me process through this (homeschooling question)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sleeping judy

Proud Parent
Sorry, this might be long.

So, this is not necessarily a gym question, but our gym experience has opened us up to a society where there are more people who homeschool.

My daughter is 10. She has been in gymnastics since the age of four and her social group is primarily at the gym though she can make friends everywhere. She's a level 7 who is average in an elite gym. She is definitely NOT one of the rockstars there and it is ok with us. She is a beautiful gymnast who holds her own, but doesn't sweep away the competition at every meet. We in no way hold out hope for a gym scholarship or elite training.

She currently trains in the evenings. We pull her from school early and she misses P.E. I have toyed with homeschooling her in the past as she struggles in school. Despite the fact that we have very small classes at our school, she struggles with focus and has a hard time retaining things, especially math. I work with her on the side with math and I feel that she works very well one-on-one. It's amazing to me that this girl who can hop up on the beam and focus through a routine in front of five hundred people, struggles sitting and learning a math lesson and retaining it. I basically have to put a good amount of time in with her to learn the lessons.

One of her friends who is in our school district was chosen to join the elite path and is doing a partial day of homeschooling. Her parents approached the school and they were very accommodating with the plan. Part of my reluctancy of homeschooling was in how the school would react and all the hoops we would have to jump through to get this in place, especially the partial day. She has a fantastic literacy teacher in the morning who can engage her. We would like to pull her for the afternoon. It was simply a matter of filling out a paper for them. I have already researched curriculums and formulated my plans so I know how it will work for our family. Both my husband and I work, but we have very flexible schedules and are home 90% of the time.

I am considering homeschooling dd for math and science for the rest of this year. Is this crazy of me? What am I missing? I feel like I can work with her very efficiently and get her to above where she is performing now. I feel like I am working with her a ton now, even though she is in school full-time. Homeschooling would open up her day a bit more, give her some down-time and hopefully would ease her frustration. Have I thought through this enough? What am I missing?

Sounds reasonable to me.

10 is still elementary school is it? (Do I have the right terminology?)

I find in Australia that *most* Primary (years 1-6) school teachers have a stronger inclination towards the humanities than science and maths. When a teacher does not enjoy a subject, say maths, then it is much harder for them to engage the students. Even with 'basic' maths like say fractions, the teacher's background has a huge influence and some teachers can make this more fun and relevant than others can.
It is common for a teacher to unintentionally pass on their dislike for a subject to their students.

If you have a decent maths/science background, are already doing the teaching anyway, enjoy teaching your child, are happy to take on the responsibility, your child responds well to your tutoring and is happy for you to do this then it sounds like a good plan.

I agree with Coz! It sounds like you have a well thought out plan with a good balance between gym, home and school. As a former teacher, I agree, most teachers have their bias and every teacher does not click with every kid. Enjoy the time with your dd and reevaluate at the end of the school year. You may want to continue along the same path next year.

Thank you this really helps! I am scared to do this! I'm afraid she will end up behind. I wouldn't say I am super intelligent, but I managed to get a master's degree and I am quite resourceful. I will google and research anything and even figured out how to fix my car and saved us hundreds of dollars last summer. I have also been helping my 7th grader with algebra this year. He misses quite a bit of class due to a medical condition so I end up teaching him at home. After dusting the cobwebs, I have really honed my math skills.

Yes, she is in 5th grade right now so last year of elementary. Her middle school would start next year. They have one teacher in the morning and one in the afternoon so it would be a nice natural break for her if I picked her up prior to the afternoon session. Her math teacher is a great person and really enjoys having my dd in class, but I am a bit disenchanted that he finds it acceptable that she is an average student. I don't think she is, she just needs to learn differently.

Reactions: COz
We homeschool too! You may also find that "math" takes less time than in the classroom. And/or is more fun -- we do a lot of math in games (e.g., Yahtzee is multiplication, addition, probability...) and science is often outsourced as "play" at the local museum.

Your reasons for homeschooling sounds solid to me. You already work a lot with her, you just want to cut out the school time that is not working for her. Homeschooling can be really special too, as it is nice to have that extra time for a parent to spend with the child.

Thank you this really helps! I am scared to do this! I'm afraid she will end up behind.
If they get given homework at school for maths etc, ask a friendly mother if they can take a photo of the homework sheets with their phone and send it to you every so often. This could help you keep tabs on what they are covering. The friendly teacher may even agree to put aside some things for you to look at.

I have also been helping my 7th grader with algebra this year. He misses quite a bit of class due to a medical condition so I end up teaching him at home. After dusting the cobwebs, I have really honed my math skills.
Sounds like you'll be fine.

Her math teacher is a great person and really enjoys having my dd in class, but I am a bit disenchanted that he finds it acceptable that she is an average student. I don't think she is, she just needs to learn differently.
It's hard. Depending on class sizes there is only so much that a teacher can do. All kids would learn much better, faster, have more fun etc if the classes were one on one.
Also, there are plenty of nice teachers out there who whose niceness outweighs their teaching skills. Don't feel guilty, you are lightening their teaching load.

I have no knowledge of your education system ( except you get a tonne of homework) but what about the other subjects ? Here at secondary school (11-16) we have a 3 lesson day (2 before and 1 after lunch) and that rotates on a 2 week timetable.

What about foreign languages, music, DT, etc, plus here science has lots of practicals, my kitchen is not equipped for many of their science practicals.

Also I would want to make sure that the possibility of re-integration at a later date was always there.

We unschool - homeschooling without any set curriculum at all. I know it's a concept many people struggle with, but it's amazing just how much a child can learn when all the pressure to learn certain things a certain way is removed. I have never taught my DD to read - yet she can sit and read a book. I have never mentioned the word "maths" in her presence - ever. Yet she can add, subtract, multiply, divide and work out simple arithmetic in her head (she's 5, btw).

It is a big leap of faith. But it is oh so rewarding.

Not all schools, my children's well respected school district gives minimal amounts of homework thankfully.
So lucky. My dd got 2+ hours most night from 2nd grade onward. Also homework and/or projects on weekends and every school break.

So lucky. My dd got 2+ hours most night from 2nd grade onward. Also homework and/or projects on weekends and every school break.
We are lucky to be in a great district. But already in 2nd and 4th grade, they get a ton of homework! I'm definitely worried about it as the gym hours and hw hours increase as my gymmie (the 2nd grader) gets older! We'll figure it out somehow though! Good luck to OP! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back