WAG Help me teach these kids a hurdle roundoff!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GiantFlyaway

Coach
Gymnast
After the local gymnastics gym where I coached rec shut down, I decided to start a small program out of a school gymnasium, primarily focusing on rec gymnastics and solid foundations. I have ended up with a small group of rather exceptional kiddos age 7-9, who I plan on competing a strong girls' JO3.

They have most of the requirements- just missing straight arm kips and ROBHS. I am hesitant to teach ROBHS because they all have mediocre hurdles and roundoffs! The skill is so technically difficult that I'm not sure of what drills to use or even corrections/descriptions that make sense to younguns. They pretty much do a high skip fast cartwheel pike down, since that's what their *cough* lazy *cough* rec coaches taught them and praised them for in rec last year.

How do I fix them!?

My team had many round-off problems at the start of this season. We had girls that had nice round-offs but, when they went to add a backhand spring their round-offs would be horrible. Our coaches made us start from the beginning and slowly relearn the skill step by step till everyone had amazing round-offs and then we weren't messing up our round-offs when we did the backhand springs.

My team had many round-off problems at the start of this season. We had girls that had nice round-offs but, when they went to add a backhand spring their round-offs would be horrible. Our coaches made us start from the beginning and slowly relearn the skill step by step till everyone had amazing round-offs and then we weren't messing up our round-offs when we did the backhand springs.
This is what I want to do. The question is, how to teach this skill step-by-step to break the bad habits. Thanks!

SO many awesome drills on youtube for building strong RO's.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=round+off+drills

Thank you!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back