Help Prep Op question for 7 year old

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

monkeysmom

Any advice for a parent about daughter joining prep op team (this is not level 6, it's the newer alternate team I think mostly for older girls who don't make JO or want less intensity). 7 year old tried out for prep at very competitive and busy gym, offered prep op. In gymnastics 2 years (rec classes only), prior to this. Didn't make prep this tryout (level 4 preteam) but offered prep op for 7 year old. 10 hours in the gym per week in summer, great coach with JO team coaching experience, which seems a real plus for her as the goal is to compete USAG, her goal but I don't think it's the gym's goal. Better to take the hours and great coach for a year here in prep op or look around for a smaller gym which may invite her to USAG JO pre team/level 4 training? Fairly strong, can do 7 pullups and a couple straight leg toe ups, seems to have good form for a beginner due to dance experience, can do splits, front and back hip circles, getting a decent handstand, beam is coming along too, just got skill recognition for getting her handstand on beam, can do back bend, kickover, still working on handspring in intermediate class? Hard to get on this team, for Level 4 prep seem to take lots of young ones who are short and bendy....my daughter not tall at all but not super short either. Flexibility and strength improved markedly since joining gymnastics 2 years ago. Wasn't picked 3 months into gymastics 2 years ago for the program for 4-6 year olds that show good potential (sort of the pre pre team)--part of the level 4 training tryout done by those same coaches that turned her down then, so kind of knew our goose might be coooked on getting on (they are invested in the little ones they have been training for a couple years, understandably, and spots are tough to get). This seems like wonderful opportunity for a year or so then reevaluate, but wondering what others think if the ultimate goal is to get on USAG JO? Or better to find a gym that seems more interested in giving her level 4 training opportunity? Thanks!!!

I think it would depend on if the gym is on the same page as you are. If they know her goal is to compete USAG and the PREP Op coach is willing to help your daughter work towards you goal, I'm sure it would be fine. The girls at our gym transition into and out of prep op with apparent ease, though they're all older (middle school and above). I think PREP Op may end up with a lot of girls who came to the sport "late" but that may not be the case in other states or even in other gyms.

I am 14, and currently in the prep - opt program at a highly competitive gym. (one of ourlevel 9 is national champ!!!0 ) and I love it. I started gymnastics only 1 yr ago so it was my only option but it is great, I am equal to a level 6 skill wise. Prep - opt is fun because you can make up your routines. Prep-Opt stands for Preparation Optional aka. getting ready for optional so it will let her feed into USAG some day, and you can always just switch to USAG anytime you are ready. I would try the prep - opt and see how it goes. Maybe talk to the coach about your goals?

What is their reason for this? Is there a specific skillset she's lagging in? If there is a gap in her learning ability right now, that she might grow out of, that would be a reason for this to be a good fit.

If they have decided she will never be a shiny enough penny for them, maybe it's time to try some other gyms. Or if they misread her and think she does not have the temperament for it, and you think she does, that also might be a reason to move.

Prep Op is run differently in different areas of the country. In some areas it is quite competitive and run extremely well(as it sounds lavinmeg's gym does it:D!)!

In others it is looked down upon & not given the respect it should be IMHO. The same can apply for how a particular gym views Prep Op in general. Some gyms will train Preps with the same intensity as JO girls & move girls from Prep to JO when ready. But some see Prep as a road all its own(a lesser road generally:() & the don't ever mix the two.

I think you need to have a frank discussion with your DD's coach & explain her goals. That will be the best way for you to make an informed decision for your DD. You may also want to explore other gyms in your area & see what they have to offer her. At 7yrs old she is still very young, should have a long career of enjoying this sport one way or the other.

She really could go either route as long as the Prep program is well regarded in your area holding plenty of meets to attend with good competition. And as long as this particular gym gives the Prep girls respect & proper training to move to JO.

Prep in some areas is wonderful & I'd highly recommend it. It can be a wonderful way to keep girls enjoying & progressing in this sport. But if she wants to be JO someday, you have to make sure her gym isn't pigeon holeing her as "Prep only" for her entire career at this point. She's way too young for any pigeon holeing! If this is their view...I'd definitely be looking at other gyms for more options. Good luck!!! Please keep us posted!!!

If it were my daughter, I'd check out other gyms. I guess the question is, why is your ultimate goal for her to be USAG? In our state, PrepOpt is very strong and at our gym, they treat the PrepOpt girls as well as the USAG. My daughter started in PrepOp at age 8 coming from rec classes. They wanted her USAG but I wasn't ready to commit the time! She did 2 seasons Prep Op and then moved to Level 5, competing for a year and then did 6 this past year. She's now Level 7 and turns 12 in a few weeks. So, the opportunity is there if the gym is flexible. But it sounds like you aren't sure about your gym's goals for your daughter. My only real reason for moving my daughter to USAG was because she loved it and it's her only sport. Many girls in our gym have a few sports and arent' willing to commit the hours necessary. After talking to some of those parents, I realized their girls were doing 15 hours in a variety of activities so it all sort of comes out in the wash!

As some others noted, I guess it depends on your state. Our program is very well established and our gym does it well.

Good luck. It sounds like your daughter is strong and wants to do it....I think if there are other good gyms in your area, it may be worth checking them out. It seems unfair to write off a 7 year old!!

I'd look around at other gyms in your area- sounds like she has the skills- heck she has some skills girls on my DD's just finished Level 3 training Level 4 to compete this winter team don't have yet.

My DD is at a medium sized gym that has gymnasts in Levels 3-10 our gym is clear that it's not an elite gym but has many strong Level 10's every year.

Shop around- if you are not happy with Prep-Op and would like her to do USAG I'd see if another gym would take her into their program. I can tell you just from what you wrote about your DD if she tried out at my DD's gym she'd most likely make the Level 4 team that DD is on- this is probably true for a gym in your area as long as there are a few to check out and try out at.

I also think you should check out other gyms. Your DD is young enough and has the basic skills that she could do at L4. IF that's what she wants to do. The Prep Optional program, at least in my state, tends to attract girls who have already competed JO levels, and the girls either have decided they don't want to put in the hours and commitment that program requires as you move up levels, OR they are girls from rec classes who want to compete, but may not have the skills required to progress through the JO levels... that's why there are different levels in the PO programs. It sounds like you and your DD want more, and you'll never know unless you try it, right?

Each gym has their own way of doing things. Many don't even compete level 4 since it doesn't have a mobility score for USAG. Other gyms do only prep opt and do mobility meets to get out of level 5 and 6 to get to 7.
I'd be more interested in why your DD wasn't put in what that gym considers the more competitive side. If they have specific skill reasons, then OK. Have her work on those skills while doing the prep opt as long as she is actually working them. If it's due to a body shape/type/look or anything that implies it takes a specific person to do gymnastics, look around for a gym that knows that all a kid needs is drive and a good work ethic to get through the lower levels of gymnastics.

Prep op is ran so different from State to State and gym to gym. Many factors go into that decision. I have learned that coaches are usually, not always are right in your daughters skills and poetiental. I think she is young to go to prep op myself. Never hurts to check out another gym. My oldest DD (13) just returned to prep op after being out for a 1 1/2 half and fits her perfectly and my youngest is a level 6 -7 which fits her perfectly.

Get detailed info. from your child's coach, check out other gyms and their recommendations. Can't hurt.

Each gym has their own way of doing things. Many don't even compete level 4 since it doesn't have a mobility score for USAG. Other gyms do only prep opt and do mobility meets to get out of level 5 and 6 to get to 7.
I'd be more interested in why your DD wasn't put in what that gym considers the more competitive side. If they have specific skill reasons, then OK. Have her work on those skills while doing the prep opt as long as she is actually working them. If it's due to a body shape/type/look or anything that implies it takes a specific person to do gymnastics, look around for a gym that knows that all a kid needs is drive and a good work ethic to get through the lower levels of gymnastics.

Excellent post CoachTodd! Thank you!!! This is kind of what I was trying to say but you said it a lot more clearly!

The coach should have short term & a long term plans for your DD. You need to ask exactly what those plans are. Make it clear to the coach she is interested in moving to JO. Then you can decide if you think this is the best plan to help your DD reach her JO goals. The coach may have an honorable reason for recommending Prep Op for her at this time. Maybe this IS the route your DD's gym takes to JO??? That is how some gyms run their program as CoachTodd said.

There is no way for us to know how your particular gym runs either program(Prep or JO), so many gyms run things so differently. Unfortunately, we cannot really give you informed advice without knowing how your specific gym runs their program.

You need to find out the coaches short term & long term plans for your DD and ask WHY is this the plan they have for her? Will their plan enable her to move to JO? At what point? This may be a good coach with a real plan for her. I'd hate to have her miss out on coach with a real plan for her just because we don't have all the facts. It wouldn't hurt to check out some other gyms to see what other they would offer her also. Having all the facts & all of her options will help you make the best informed decision. The more info you have on how your present program runs, will give you will more information to comparison shop with. Let us know what you find out! Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back