WAG Hyperactive 5 year old

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Momma9752

Proud Parent
I have a five-year-old in a pre-ODP program, she loves it and we have been told that she’s talented.

She has hyperactive ADHD, and I get told at the end of almost every class that she had a hard time listening and was given timeouts.

I’m extremely concerned she’s going to be kicked out of the program soon. I know it’s hard enough for coaches and they’re not trained to deal with kids (16 year old coach) like that but I don’t know exactly how to address this with the coaching/management team to make it work. I considered pulling her out until she’s a little older and has more skills built up mentally but She’ll be devastated if she can’t go anymore. Changing to REC isn’t an option because she’s already built more skills and would be bored and more disruptive.

I should also mention that she does not have this problem at school and instead state that she’s actually a great listener, leader, is patient

How long are her classes? Can you watch a class to see maybe where she is struggling? Then maybe you can go to the gym with some ideas on things that could work to help her

If she is not having the problem at school, then maybe you can talk to someone about strategies that work for her. She may be able to give you some thoughts on why she is struggling too. It is more unstructured in general, so that could be the main issue.

I agree to figure out where exactly she's struggling. I've had the hyper kids and I let them do something constructive, but quiet and not distracting when it's not their turn - splits, calf raises, etc. Instead of a timeout, maybe she needs to burn off some extra energy - I'm not talking about running as a punishment, but maybe "hey, do you think you could come back and be ready to focus if you ran around the floor two times first?"

It is also likely partially on the (lack of).experience of the coach. I coached for a very long time, so you get to know these types of kids and solutions that actually help them.

Thank you. I got the dreaded email offering a spot in an Rec class instead, just sucks because shes been in the program since September. Why is the gyms solution to move her instead of working together with us to make it work?

She trains 3 hours, I should have mentioned her old sibling is also in the class which I believe also causes some friction but they wont split them.

Im going to ask to watch a class to see whats going on and love the idea of the constructive work to keep her occupied. Thank you!

Is there another gym you could have her try out at? 16 year old coaches teaching pre-team doesn't sound like an ideal situation. I'm sure more experienced coaches would be able to keep her engaged throughout the entire class.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back