Off Topic Help! (re: coach moving me down a level)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My best friend and I have done EVERYTHING together.. But this week we both got letters in the mail saying if we had to stay in level 8 one more year or if we moved up.. Well hers said she had moved up to level 9. Mine on the other hand said i would be MOVING DOWN to level 7.. The thing is there is this girl in level 7 who is constantly bragging, showing off, and being mean to me.. I really don't know if having to deal with her is worth it.. Another thing is I don't want to do gymnastics without MY team. I've been with the same team since LEVEL 3.. And its going to be hard for me to basically start over.. Please give me tips if I should continue, talk to my coach, or just quit....

Welcome to real life. Things like this happen all the time as you get older there will be lots of times where your friends get something you don't and you feel left behind and there will be times where the situation is reversed. I also thought though once you competed a level at sectionals you couldn't move down a level - unless its the new USAG level thing where the new L7 is the old level 8 skills - that could be so you really are just staying at the same skill set with a new name. IF you are doing gymnastics it should be because you love it and want to do it not because you are with your friend or not.

My suggestion is to tell your parents just what you said here and get their advice they can help you sort out your feelings and help deal with the girl you say is annoying.

Thank you! Another thing I'm worried about is being held back.. I know part of the reason I got bumped down is because I don't have enough confidence in myself.. But to me doing skills I know I can do, training with younger kids, and competing in a level I already competed in is going to make me feel bad about myself and I wont be working on the skills I REALLY need..

My mom did talk to my coach to see if it was a possibility if I could just train with my team (which would now be the level 9's) and not compete.. But for some reason she just won't let me.. We also talked about staying in Level 8 for another year instead of having to go DOWN to Level 7.. Still she said no.. I'm just really confused and bummed out.. I have either gotten high 8's or 9's in all of my Level 8 season... But for some reason I have to go back down to 7..

Unfortunately, there is a piece of the puzzle missing. You may set up another meeting with the coach ( and possibly the head coach) and ask why you need to move down and what you need to do to stay at level 8. Are there skills missing? Are you doing things unsaftely? I know it's hard but we just don't know what your coach is thinking and seeing. So we can't give you answers.

I read in your profile you practice 5 times a week for 6 hours at a time. That means you're in the gym 30 hours a week, way more than even most level 10 gymnasts. If this is true, could you maybe be burning out? Do you have injuries or are losing skills or things like that, that would make your coach want to move you back? I've never actually heard of that, unless a gymnast has taken some time off. I didn't even know it was allowed. You should approach your coach (with your parent(s) if you feel more comfortable that way, but you should still be in control of the conversation, since you're 13 or older) and say you'd like to discuss your progress on team. Ask why you're being moved down and what you can do to refocus and improve. Write down a few questions and me open to honest responses from your coach. If you handle it maturely I think your coach will be willing to work with you and see that you are determined to do well in gymnastics.

As far as the friend thing goes... it happens. I was the youngest optional girl on my team the entire time I competed and always the only one at regionals, nationals, etc. I learned to make friends from other teams even from other states, friendships I still value today. It could be even doing everything with your friends all the time is distracting you and affecting your gymnastics.

You're at the age where you have to look at what you value. Social time and friends or gymnastics. If you value hanging out with your friends more, it might be time to look into a prep op gym program or prepare for your high school team. Friends are great but you can't live your life based off what they do. You don't sign up for only the same classes as your friends in school and plan on applying to the same exact college do you? Eventually you have to learn to do things on your own. It can be tough but now is a great time to learn that.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much everyone!

Well.. I have had a lot of time off out of the gym.. I broke my ankle, and I have knee,back,and wrist issues.. So I do have to take some time out of the gym to heal. I also missed 2 WEEKS due to bacterial pneumonia.. I know I would get some consequences due to missing a lot, and that is why I have to practice basically all the time. I feel like this may be a punishment for missing so much practice..

When I talked to her she told me she is doing this to polish and strengthen my skills.. She also said that I need to gain more confidence and try to be more of a leader.. But to me she took this a little to far and I feel that she can keep me in level 8 so I can work on those skills/routines.. Not skills/routines I can do and I know..

I don't know if I should feel this way or not but I'm also a little embarrassed to be practicing with younger kids.. I'm 14 and some of the kids in level 7 are around 9 and 10...

I am a little confused? How is it possible for you to move down to level 7 if you have already been competing as a level 8. Have you done in sanctioned competitions? I thought there was a rule that you could not move down after you have competed a level unless there is a specific reason.

If this is not the case, be aware that this is how gymnastics goes. It is not like school where everyone is expected to progress at a similar rate. Some times you move forward faster, sometimes you move slower, you go through stages where you may not be progressing at all or even seem to be moving backwards. This is normal and all a part of learning. Just because you will be behind your team now does not mean that you will be behind them together. Repeating a lower level may be the chance you need to really work on your basics and accelerate past the other gymnasts. This may make you a better gymnast in the long term.

It is possible that you spend more time worried about your teammates than about your gymnastics and this could affect your training. If you truly love the sport it does not matter who you are training with as long as you are training hard.

I agree.. I'm very very confused. I was actually NOT able to attend any competitions while in Level 8 due to health issues, and many injuries....But I was going to attend quite a lot.. I know all my routines and I actually had all my skills..

Are coaches allowed to do this becasue they are worried for your body? Or because of how much practice I've missed?

There seems to be part of the story missing or untrue. You say you have gotten 8 and 9s on all level 8 routines, then say you have never competed 8. Am I the only one confused?
Other than that, talk to you coach and stay in the sport for your love of it not to be with friends. And if your skills are level 7, thats where you should train. Not with the level 9s as it will hold your skills back and possibly theres.

If you have never actually competed level 8 then they can put you back to level 7.

Ok I agree with hawaii Gymnast - How can you have as you posted high 8's and low 9's in competitions if you never competed? It can't be both ways.

You have also posted you have had ALOT of sickness and injury which could mean that although you are doing certain skills the are now weak and not as strong as you need to build on for the upper levels. You can't move up on skills you haven't done in a while because of sickness or what ever. Optional levels builds on having very strong skills from the level before. You need to trust that your coach has the ability to evaluate every gymnast and choose the road that will be the best for every gymnast.

YOUR gym may have younger girls only at this level but if you go to meets you will see there are alot of girls at this level at your age, just not at your gym.

Coaches don't make decisions on moving kids up, down or whatever to "punish" gymnasits. They choose where you should be based on the skills you present, how well you listen, how well you are a team player, how your health is, how your recovery is, how well you are focusing on you and not worried about others gymnastics and basicly what is the route that will be best for you and your gynastics.

The truth is that some will advance quicker than others and when there is alot of injury and sickness as you have claimed you sometimes have to go back to the basics to clean up those skills, gain strength, and show the coaches you are focused on YOUR gymnastics and will give them 100% +. Your coaches have probably spent many hours thinking for every gymnast what is best for each of you.

If you don't like their decisions then you can quit the sport, go to another gym and be evaluated and possibly go to their team, or suck it up, stop complaining about what everyone else received and what you didn't get and show your coach how good a gymnast you are.

Thank you! Another thing I'm worried about is being held back.. I know part of the reason I got bumped down is because I don't have enough confidence in myself.. But to me doing skills I know I can do, training with younger kids, and competing in a level I already competed in is going to make me feel bad about myself and I wont be working on the skills I REALLY need..

My mom did talk to my coach to see if it was a possibility if I could just train with my team (which would now be the level 9's) and not compete.. But for some reason she just won't let me.. We also talked about staying in Level 8 for another year instead of having to go DOWN to Level 7.. Still she said no.. I'm just really confused and bummed out.. I have either gotten high 8's or 9's in all of my Level 7 season... But for some reason I have to go back down to 7..

Last edited:
You really aren't being demoted as you never competed at level 8. You may have been training level 8 skills, but as far as USAG is concerned you are still a level 7. Good luck and work hard.

^^^^ What meetDirector said. You were a L7 uptraining L8 skills.

Just remember scores are not the only deciding factor in movin up or not. I would be concerned about your health and recovery and honestly I would want you to stay where you are. You have all summer to show your coach you are ready for L8 and still possibly move up. How about talking again to your coach to see if you train again as a L7 could you Uptrain L8 skills and also discuss what you would have to have and where would you need to be both physically and mentally to compete L8.

I also can see why your coach won't let you train with the L9's as well - The skills from each of the optional levels are different and there would be alot of adjustments needed to do that when there is no need to do so. YOUR team has been and still is the Level 7 girls but your friends you have been hanging out with were the L8's bno L9 girls don't confuse your social group with your competitive team.

^^^^ What meetDirector said. You were a L7 uptraining L8 skills.

Just remember scores are not the only deciding factor in movin up or not. I would be concerned about your health and recovery and honestly I would want you to stay where you are. You have all summer to show your coach you are ready for L8 and still possibly move up. How about talking again to your coach to see if you train again as a L7 could you Uptrain L8 skills and also discuss what you would have to have and where would you need to be both physically and mentally to compete L8.

I also can see why your coach won't let you train with the L9's as well - The skills from each of the optional levels are different and there would be alot of adjustments needed to do that when there is no need to do so. YOUR team has been and still is the Level 7 girls but your friends you have been hanging out with were the L8's bno L9 girls don't confuse your social group with your competitive team.

I agree 100 percent with this.. I know its hard to miss some friends but don't let social life and drama get to your gymnastics.. I know that you have NOT competed as a L8 but i know you have as a L7.. Just talk to your coach and ask if you can compete in L7 but still work on L8 skills.. Good luck! Work hard! :)

Repeating a lower level may be the chance you need to really work on your basics and accelerate past the other gymnasts. This may make you a better gymnast in the long term.

THIS. My coach had a gymnast at her old gym that had pretty sloppy technique (I am not saying you are sloppy but just relevant information for the story) She was going into level 6s in Australia so all her group had their round off flic saults and some layouts including her. But because of her sloppy technique my coach took her right back to a round off a skill first learnt in level 3 and you can imagine how frustrating that would have been for her, she then progressed to round off flics and after each progression was perfect she could move on. After 6 months of basics and now being on par with her skills with her team mates but the difference was beyond that point she excelled much faster and had much better technique than any of the others so don't get bummed down with the move and think that you will get loads of benefits from learning awesome technique.

I do agree that, based on what I've seen, staying back a year can be of great benefit to improve polish and refinement. The two girls on our team who spent an extra year at level 6 after having very solid first years were really upset about it. One ended up winning vault at states and both moved up to L7 the following year. They are now having completely awesome years as L7 and will surely go to L8 in the fall.

The other note is that, while there seems to be some ambiguity about whether you've competed as a L8 in a sanctioned meet, my reading of the USAG rules suggests that coaches can petition to move a gymnast down a level if the gymnast has suffered significant injuries or illnesses that have disrupted training.

Try to make the best of it, go out there and totally rock L7, and you may well end up spending less time at L8 as a result.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back