Help!! Teen gymnastics classes?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So in my last question I asked if it was too late to start gymnastics. Due to all your positive replys I have decided to start. The problem is that I am unable to find any classes for teens. I tried a tumbling class at my y but was placed with 6 year olds and an instructor my age!! Does anyone have any suggestions of where to look for classes or any at home moves I can practice? Btw I live in Massachusetts.

have you checked the Gyms that have gymnastics in your area besides the Y? Many have beginner programs for older girls.

Don't know where in MA you are but this link will help you locate Gyms in Ma
Club Listing

if you are near one of the state boarders and its easy to drive to another state you can just type in
Gymnastics in ___________ (state name)

Also cneck out what a city or county might offer through their rec programs for the summer, look at any gyms that offer only Tramp N Tumbling and even check out cheer programs. You mght at least find some basic tumbling classes geared for teens.
Don't try anything at home!

If you are starting as a teen and looking for a tumbling class, your best bet is a cheer gym. Search your town + all star cheer on google, hit google maps, and check out the places nearby.

are you looking for just a tumbling class ? i agree with looking at cheer gyms. cheerfactor, east celebrity elite,extreme cheer all stars offers tumbling classes! although, i wouldn't consider xtreme for many reasons..but the other two look great! Massachusetts Cheerleading Gyms : im sure many of them offer tumbling classes. If youre looking for gymnastics classes theres alot of gyms that let older kids try it out. kinda cool to see someone who lives in the same state! good luck <3

You might be stuck with younger kids, especially if you want to do artistic gymnastics as opposed to tumbling. I was always the oldest in my classes and practice groups until I made it to level 7, so you really have to be in it for the skills and not the social aspect. If you stick it out it is WORTH IT for all the skills and accomplishments you'll make! The classes may be geared towards younger kids, but the skills you're working on will be exactly the same.

When I got back into gymnastics when I was 15 I was with 6 year olds to start. But do look around for gyms with High School rec classes. Also look for adult classes, if the gym doesn't have a HS class but has an adult class they typically allow high schoolers in the adult class.

~Katy

usually when the coaches put you in a group it really is by ability and not age so being with 6yo doesn't surpriese me but being older you will listen better do the skills with more focus and move up more quickly because you aren't distracted like the 6yo's are. If you are there to learn gymnastics then don't worry about the ages focus on the skills. remember you didn't start this for a social reason.
Keep focused on your goal and not the ages around you. If you are really uncomfortable let the coach know your concerns and maybe they can adjust the class you are in - but it won't be a 15 yo class.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back