WAG help ! what should I do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ari97

Gymnast
I do rec gymnastics and its only 1 hour and a half once a week. Its hard to get skills when I only practice once a week! Should I ask if we could have class more? Or should I ask if I can practice with team gymnasts like once a week with out competeting or is that out of the question...? what would you do? And im not aloud to compete because its too expensive:(

Our gym wouldn't allow a rec student to train with team under your circumstances because their focus is on competition...especially this time of year. Would your parents be willing to add another class?

More training=more $$, always. So it would be up to whoever is paying for your classes, not the gym, so I wouldn't ask your coach if you could train with the team... I *would* ask your coach if they feel there is a better option for you (adding another class, going to a different rec level, etc) and then discuss those options with your parents.

At our gym, the only non-competing gymnasts allowed to train with the team are the developing (really pre-team) L3's that are new and/or not ready to compete (and they pay the same as the competing group, minus the actual comp fees).
If you are in rec and want more, you either have to sign up for more classes (in rec) or take the step to the other side of the gym "for real" and be part of the team.
Good luck!

Does the gym you go to have open gyms? When I have rec parents approach me and are asking what they can do to help their child improve I usually give them a couple things....

My first suggestion is to go to open gyms. The place I coach holds them on weekends and they are relatively cheap compared to adding another class. Of course you most likely will not get a whole lot of attention from a coach, but if you have specific things that you are working that you can mostly do by yourself open gyms would seem to be a good fit. Another thing I suggest is usually conditioning and flexibility at home. The stronger and more flexible you are, the easier it will be to do skills. There are also private lessons, but I'm guessing if competing is out of the question, then so are these. I rarely suggest them to parents because of this reason. Really though, I think open gyms are awesome if they have them at your gym. From what I see, generally kids who go to open gym improve faster than those who don't.

Hope this helps!

If you want to take on more hours have a chat to your coach or gym owner. The gym is sure to have another class that would be appropriate for you to attend. Most gyms will be very supportive of you for stepping up your training and wanting to be more committed.

There is only 1 advanced rec class, the rest of the rec classes are for beginners and they are little kids.

Thanks for the responses, im looking into a new gym that has a rec team so I can practice more, hopefully im aloud to do it!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back