Help!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I don't know what to do:(
Here's the story:
I am tired of my club. It is too small. The coaches don't coach. We have minimum hours. Most of the time is spent doing basics (I'm level 7 and we spend like 30 minutes on beam just walking). We were told at the beging of last year that is would improve but it never did; and I doubt that it will be any better this year. There's more but I can't think of it at the top of my head.
What should I do? The nearest gym is 40 minutes away, and I don't know if it's much better. My parents don't want to drive that far. Should I stay at this gym? Should I quit, it's no fun at this gym? I love the sport but don't know what to do?

The exact same thing happened to me. I hated the gym I was at and I never did anything new. I ended up switching gyms, even though the new one is 40 minutes away. It is so much better. I concidered quitting, but I loved gymnastics too much to give it up. It was completely worth it. Even though the drive is far, sometimes I get a ride with someone else, and sometimes my dad stays at the gym during practice because we have a viewing area. You could try that gym out for a practice, or even a few weeks, and after that decide if it is worth it. Hope this helps!

I sure wouldn't quit, I think you'd probably regret that down the road. If nothing else stick with the gym you're in now until you turn 16 and can drive yourself. If your parents don't want to make the drive see if you can carpool with someone at the new gym. Even if someone lives 1/2 way between you and the gym, maybe your parents could drop/pick you at their place and go from there. If you go check out the new gym flat out tell them you'd have to catch a ride with another girl, they will know who lives close to you and get you in contact with a couple families to see if something can be worked out.

Carpooling to the other gym isn't really an option, no one from my town goes to this one. It is in a different town. If someone where to live halfway (in the country) they would have to drive 20 minutes to my house and then 40 minutes to the gym. Thats a 40 minute detour for them.
I love the sport too much to quit.

Have you told your parents what you have said here? That should be your first step. They are on your side and will talk to the current gym and see if they can't do something to help out where you are first. In the mean time it wouldnt hurt if your parents know you might want to move and see what they think. I would do a 40 min drive for my DD no problem. You will be surprised what parents will sacrafice for their children.

Tell your parents how you feel and see what they say. They want you to be happy!!

Yes, I have talked to my parents, they know how I feel. They don't want to drive that far. We have talked to the gym already too. They said I can continue with this gym, or quit. They might let me do some private lessons there though.

My daughter takes gymnastics at the Y which is very low-hours. She has said she wishes she could do more hours, but she doesn't want to leave the Y, her team, and all of her friends, plus the Y is within walking distance of our house. So we're combining a semi-private lesson (with another girl at her level on the Y team) every other week at the more intense, better equiped gym in town. It still ends up being less expensive than if she was taking at the other gym, and she gets an extra boost to her skills. If your main complaint about your gym is that they're not teaching you the skills you want to learn, you could think about doing something like that... supplement your gym with periodic private lessons at the other gym. If you're just miserable at your gym or feel like it's unsafe (not being properly spotted, or whatever) then that's a different story.

if your parents will it is defently worth driving that far just car pull thats what i do and my gym is about 50 minutes awaY

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back