WAG Hiccup on bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wsg13

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
I have my hiccup but not the kip the common problem. I have gotten a kip about 2,3 times but can not get it consistent. I also do a clear hip to handstand before it and would like to try steep down after would this give me more power? Any drills suggestions?

Practice the action on the floor - from lying on back, snap to sit up with straddled legs, then fold forwards to pancake/Japana and swim through to lie on front. You can also practice going from seat drop to front drop via straddle on a tramp.

I have been having the same problem, and I found that a couple of things helped me make it into a kip. First, I wasn't getting enough power, so I didn't have the power to make it into a kip. I step on with one foot, then put the other foot on as I'm swinging down (the way most people do it, but I don't do it from a handstand). If you put your second foot on as late as possible, you're going to get a lot more power. Also, I wasn't "turning over" enough, so I caught the high bar in a dead hang. To fix this, I had to learn to throw my feet behind me and be almost horizontal before I caught the high bar, like I would do in a shushunova (or however you spell it) on floor. A drill for this is to put a really big mat where you would dismount off the high bar, then do hiccups off the high bar to land flat on your stomach.
Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back