Off Topic High score = not being challenged? Thoughts?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I wanted to see everyone’s views on this? Do you think that scoring high, ( as in above 9.4ish) means that a gymnast is not being challenged, or is competing level too low? I will give my perspective on this. I do not think this is the case. I think that scoring high means that an athlete has clean routines and good form. It means they can perform their current skills well. They might not have the skills for the next level polished enough for competition yet, while the skills for their current level are not new, scary, or have errors. What do you think

No, not at all.

There is a big step from level to level. For example - You can have level 3’s with amazing clean routines but they may not be able to do a kip, so wouldn’t manage level 4 routines .

For perspective, I do think you see more of the higher (>9.4 as defined by OP) scores these days than you did 10 years ago so there's that too.

I agree with you.

Not to mention that gymnasts aren't always executing evenly across events. In Level 5 my daughter was routinely scoring above 9.5 on floor, while struggling to get much over 9.0 on beam. It has taken the extra training time between compulsory and optionals to help bring her beam skills in line with her other events.

Just occurred to me that you meant scoring over 9.4 on all events, lol. I clearly need caffeine.

At the lower levels, I definitely felt like she was not being challenged... and they did consider having her skip L3 but we didn't and I'm so glad. What I didn't understand then was that the gym was going a great job with basics and conditioning and safe uptraining. The slow going during compulsories set her up to get skills super rapidly in optionals.

No - my daughter has consistently won 1-3rd place at every meet on bars, and is nearly always last on beam. Now when I see girls getting 9.8 scores on every event, it kinda feels like it’s time to move up but you never know what’s going on behind the scenes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back