WAG Hip Flexors - how are they used?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vagymmomma

Proud Parent
I was reading another recent post and a related post topic below was "Hip Flexors". I opened it up and was surprised when one of the posts said hip flexor flexibility could impact bridges and backbends. I always thought hip flexor flexibility impacted skills like middle splits, straddle casts, and maybe press handstands. Now I'm sure I don't know how they're used, and I see hip flexor flexiblity mentioned in a lot of threads. Can anyone explain what skills require flexible hip flexors (try saying that 3 times fast :)). How do you know if hip flexor flexibility is good or bad?

Huh. Wouldn't have thought of bridges first. I can tell you that if I am remembering right, when my son was a L4, his on-again, off-again L seat on rings was attributed to weak hip flexors.

When gymnasts perform a backbend or walkover, they have to 'open' their hips to a maximum. With stiff flexors, the hips can't open enough for these skills. In this case there's a little angle (pike) in the hips.
So stiff hip flexors limit all the skills which need a open hip.

Interesting and timely. DD came home tonight saying muscles connecting her inner thigh "along where her bodysuit lies" hurt while she was working front aerials. I assumed groin muscles, but maybe this is it.... Given back bends and the latter part of the aerial are similar shapes?

Interesting read, from what I can tell my hip flex ours may be to flexible with not enough muscle. That may be my glide swing problem! Any ideas on how to strengthen hip flexors?

Definitely impact front handsprings and front aerials much more than I thought they would. I learned the hard way whenever I pulled my hip flexor and thought I could do a front handsprings no problem, ouch.

Interesting and timely. DD came home tonight saying muscles connecting her inner thigh "along where her bodysuit lies" hurt while she was working front aerials. I assumed groin muscles, but maybe this is it.... Given back bends and the latter part of the aerial are similar shapes?

Probably not...... Unless hip flexor tightness causes her to compensate during the kick/push phase by taking her hips way out of alignment the same way you see kids do splits with twisted hips and a ton of turn out on their back leg. That's going to snap her inner thigh muscle into a sudden stretch. Is the pain just in one leg or significantly greater in one leg.... the one that she kicks and lands on, or is it both legs hurting somewhat equally.

Probably not...... Unless hip flexor tightness causes her to compensate during the kick/push phase by taking her hips way out of alignment the same way you see kids do splits with twisted hips and a ton of turn out on their back leg. That's going to snap her inner thigh muscle into a sudden stretch. Is the pain just in one leg or significantly greater in one leg.... the one that she kicks and lands on, or is it both legs hurting somewhat equally.
Thanks, IWC! It is her right leg that is in front when she starts and pushes off from. She says the other one doesn't hurt at all.

Thanks, IWC! It is her right leg that is in front when she starts and pushes off from. She says the other one doesn't hurt at all.

It sounds like it's just muscle soreness from the low dip into the push-off being done over and over and over and.......

Kids, ya gotta love em for all that energy.

Make sure her coach knows about it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back