Hitting feet on ground during bars?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I know that when a lot of gymnasts get to a certain height it is HARD to do certain skills without accidentally hitting your feet on the ground. But is there a certain point when gymnasts "give up" on even trying to avoid this? I see high school gymnasts in my area who do a shootover for example who look like they don't even try to pike or straddle to avoid hitting their feet on the ground, it almost looks like they are planning to or something. So is there a time when gymnasts just completely give up on this?

Never give up! Why waste your energy doing something over and over again with no chance to make an improvement. You can always try, and the energy spent trying is no greater than the energy spent while doing a skill you've given up on. The real difference is that giving up gets you nothing in return.

Try to get some technique advice from your coach about how to make the skill easier to do, it isn't just about strength and body length. Post again and include some info about the skill if your coach can't offer any advice.

Rope climbs with legs parallel to the ground is a great conditioner for all the muscles you need to do a successful shootover/bail without feet hitting the ground. Like anything, practice, timing and strength all need to be present. It could be that the high school team does not do as rigorous conditioning as the club teams and is lacking a bit in the abdominal department. Typical club coaches NEVER let their gymnasts give up on doing a skill cleanly.

Never let your feet hit the ground and give up on it. I don't know the deduction in USAg but in Australia where we use the FIG code and in most countries (who also use FIG code) hitting your feet on the ground is a full 1.0 deduction and is considered the same as a fall.

If you hang off the low bar and your hips touch the ground you should be able to raise the bar on competition.

Sorry, I'm not having this problem, I quit gymnastics a while ago LOL! I was just wondering because I've seen videos lately of high school gymnasts in my area who look like they're almost planning to hit their feet on the ground or something!!!! I was just wondering what other people thought of this. And the high school gymnasts in my area are also club gymnasts, so I don't see why they have this problem.

Maybe they are sacrificing form on the kip to get a good cast? I know usually good form on a kip should lead to a good cast, but if you're kipping out of a release move and you're tall...you have to slow down a lot to keep your feet up.

They probably aren't doing it on purpose. My 8 year old DD is not very tall (well, she is very tall for an 8 year old) and she is learn the L6 bar routine. She hits her feet pretty hard kipping out of the clear hip. I hope she stops doing it eventually, but I know many L6s that do it for a very long time!

Even tall gymnasts can do skills without hitting the floor if they have sufficient ab strength. As a high school judge, most of them hit the floor because they are too weak.

When you're coming out of a release skill, you have a lot of power, and sometimes it feels like you will peel if you really try to keep your feet up; not an excuse but certainly a factor!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back