Hitting head on back bends?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

amblan01

Gymnast
What can I do to not hit my head. Locking my arms isn't working. I think my arms are short haha!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using ChalkBucket mobile app

this is common. I do this sometimes too. What your doing is that you're rushing, and your hands find the floor, and your arms bend, and you hit your head because the rush suddenly puts your body on your arms very quickly, and so they bend. This will work if you aren't stretching your body out, which could also be a factor in why you're hitting your head: If don't do so already, start with your hands over your head. DO NOT RUSH YOUR HEAD BEFORE YOUR HANDS! Just let your hands lead the way, slowly, until you reach the ground. Just focus on them and you'll be fine.

Yup. Your stretched arms should lead the way; you can look at your hands all the time to make sure of this. Keep your abs tense and your hips "up". It helps to think of your hips and lower back pushing forward as your arms go back, so that you go down in a controlled manner and not just by falling onto your hands (well, head).

I'm still hitting my head and not looking back far enough. And BTW its all on the trampoline though I did have teen tumbling tonight and got a spot for my back bend kick over on floor. I can't help but rush it at the end. Any tips?

Hmm. Try to make more of a "arch" with your back as you go down. The more arch you have, the slower down you will go, and the less apt your arms are to buckle. If that doesn't work, try some arm conditioning- after all, if your arms aren't strong enough to support you, all you will end up doing is slamming your head.

I would not do these on the trampoline, EVER. That's not a good idea.

Try doing them to a wedge, just make sure it won't slide.

As you reach back, push your hips forward like the limbo. This slows your descent/fall.

Thanks! Why is it not a good idea to do them on a trampoline?

The springs in the trampoline move and are unbalanced. If you do a backbend on a trampoline, the springs will move around and you pretty much failed. This may or may not be correct, but it's always why I've felt it's difficult to perform a backbend on a trampoline.

Because it's a unstable surface. It's also why you don't do side aerials on a trampoline because you land one leg at a time which is a great way to twist or tear your knee.

With a backbend, your hands can slide out on the trampoline surface or your feet.

What might be safe is to do it over a barrel. That way if you fall you just land on the barrel, especially if it's older and has some give.

One thing I have noticed from people learning to do backbends, especially when they don't have the back flexibility and core strength, is that they bend at the knees and go back, as opposed to starting with arms up, stretch stretch stretch up and back, and bend from the back with SOME knee bending.

I have a lot of core strength that took years of leg lifts, sit ups, ect. I am lacking back flexibility though. Like I can easily do the back stretches but I don't have an arch.

gymnastics=10% talent 90% hard work

Having a hard time understanding what you mean by "I don't have a arch". Could you please explain? Because I'm probably the least flexible person to ever step foot inside a gym, but I can still manage to get a "arch." We'll, enough arch to get a backbend that is.

Having a hard time understanding what you mean by "I don't have a arch". Could you please explain? Because I'm probably the least flexible person to ever step foot inside a gym, but I can still manage to get a "arch." We'll, enough arch to get a backbend that is.

I guess it's just means little back flexibility like my hands and feet are far apart.

Oh ok. I apologize if I came across as mean or snarky in my last post...just trying to understand what you were talking about lol! I think the only thing that will help you as far as back flexibility goes, is to keep on doing them as much as you can. My logic might be a tad off here, but its kind of like splits- the more you stretch them, the easier they get.
Try doing some bridge ups from the floor, and straightening your knees (while in a bridge) BEFORE you attempt backbends. Because then those muscles will be loose and ready to go by the time you ask them to do a backbend. Those things are what helped me.

I have pretty good shoulder flexibility. I heard that once or twice. Thanks! Arch is also a big part in it though right?

gymnastics=10% talent 90% hard work

*sigh * Yes and no. I have an unnatural arch from scorpions (Cheer days) and it's how I do my backbends currently. But it's also really messed up handstands & backtucks because I try to force arches sometimes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back