WAG Hitting the bottom of an above ground pit... Bone bruise...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter is at camp and hit the bottom of an above ground pit. She's never used that type of pit before, but needless to say we are not impressed with them She can't put pressure on her heel and is having sharp pains. I'm not sure if it is a bone bruise or something is broke. Has anyone else experienced this. Of course, this has made camp miserable for her and I'm 12 hours away & can't do anything. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372261142.085204.jpg

Did you fill out a form stating they can be responsible for her medical care? Some camps do that. If so, they should take her to a clinic for an X-ray. You may have to fax a back and front copy of your health insurance card and a written statement giving an ok...
My DD went to Woodward last year, and I filled out these documents saying that our head coach (who went with them) could handle their medical needs while away.
I would get her checked out.

Ouch! I would get it x-ray'd if possible. Seems like a really bad bruise so something could be cracked.

I'm sorry. :(

Did you fill out a form stating they can be responsible for her medical care? Some camps do that. If so, they should take her to a clinic for an X-ray. You may have to fax a back and front copy of your health insurance card and a written statement giving an ok...
My DD went to Woodward last year, and I filled out these documents saying that our head coach (who went with them) could handle their medical needs while away.
I would get her checked out.

I did fill out all the required forms and they have a copy of my insurance card. She said the coaches have been super nice, but the trainer... not so much. She wouldn't give her Motrin Bc she wasn't 18 and then she laughed when she ask for ice. I've already made her an appt for the day she gets back (Friday). I really hope it's just a bone bruise.
I don't want to come across as bashing the camp Bc she says the coaches are wonderful, but I will def stick to SEC camps from now on... Better facilities, better dorms and much closer to me!!

The trainer laughed when she asked for ice? No cool at all. I would probably report that to the athletic department or whoever manages the camps.... :mad:

Yes. In the USAG Safety cert it goes over minimum/recommended pit depths for pits that have a tramp bottom vs concrete bottom.

I think for a tramp bottom it's 4' and concrete it's 6'. So it can definitely happen which is why I really don't like concrete bottom tramps as you can go through the pit to the bottom, especially once you get bigger and when you are working doubles.

Yes. In the USAG Safety cert it goes over minimum/recommended pit depths for pits that have a tramp bottom vs concrete bottom.

I think for a tramp bottom it's 4' and concrete it's 6'. So it can definitely happen which is why I really don't like concrete bottom tramps as you can go through the pit to the bottom, especially once you get bigger and when you are working doubles.

She said this pit didn't have a tramp at the bottom and she hit concrete. She was doing vault (layout) and she's 5'6" so not the typical shorty.

If the coaches are being supportive, I would be sure to let them know about the trainer's attitude! That is unacceptable to laugh when she asks for ice. The ibuprofen issue: yes, I can understand her not giving anything without the parent's consent, but if you filled out papers, I cannot believe the trainer would make a big deal about giving her some ibuprofen. (My DH is an athletics trainer, and laws are so stringent that they really are not allowed to give any "drugs", even OTC stuff).

My question is this: who made the determination that it was only a bone bruise? It may very well be (those can be worse than a fracture), but an X-ray is definitely on order, and I would have thought the trainer would want that, especially since she's a minor (due to liability issues).

Just curious: what made you decide to send her to Iowa State instead of other university camps (especially if its farther away)? I'm not judging by any means, just curious. (I would highly recommend the OU camp: phenomenal staff, trainer and facilities!) good luck with your DD, and please let us know how she's doing!

Aww, thats a bummer, it happens though. Pits do a lot of good but are not without the potential for injury. I tell the kids all the time, soft legs when you enter. I she feels better soon.

If the coaches are being supportive, I would be sure to let them know about the trainer's attitude! That is unacceptable to laugh when she asks for ice. The ibuprofen issue: yes, I can understand her not giving anything without the parent's consent, but if you filled out papers, I cannot believe the trainer would make a big deal about giving her some ibuprofen. (My DH is an athletics trainer, and laws are so stringent that they really are not allowed to give any "drugs", even OTC stuff).

My question is this: who made the determination that it was only a bone bruise? It may very well be (those can be worse than a fracture), but an X-ray is definitely on order, and I would have thought the trainer would want that, especially since she's a minor (due to liability issues).

Just curious: what made you decide to send her to Iowa State instead of other university camps (especially if its farther away)? I'm not judging by any means, just curious. (I would highly recommend the OU camp: phenomenal staff, trainer and facilities!) good luck with your DD, and please let us know how she's doing!

Well, her BFF from her gym committed to Iowa State for 2014 so she invited my daughter to go to camp with her. I was hesitant bc of the distance, but she really wanted to go and her coach encouraged her to go too. Last year she went to AL & before that GA & Flip Fest.

Hmm, at 5'6 she's probably as big as any collegiate gal, maybe even bigger. Especially if her friend is going collegiate next year.

And when I mean big. I mean 5'6 125# at most which is BIG compared to a 4'5" 60lb midget or 4'10" 90lb stick.

Hmm, at 5'6 she's probably as big as any collegiate gal, maybe even bigger. Especially if her friend is going collegiate next year.

And when I mean big. I mean 5'6 125# at most which is BIG compared to a 4'5" 60lb midget or 4'10" 90lb stick.

.......meaning that the equipment should be safe under the circumstances of this camp being at a college...where college kids are working out...

I would be calling the camp director. If my kid sent me a photo of an injury like that, combined with the story, I would expect it to be looked at by a doctor. That trainer needs a kick in the ***. As for giving her Advil, they could call you to ask and she should be icing often. The trainer is a joke.

I would be calling the camp director. If my kid sent me a photo of an injury like that, combined with the story, I would expect it to be looked at by a doctor. That trainer needs a kick in the ***. As for giving her Advil, they could call you to ask and she should be icing often. The trainer is a joke.

I was definitely a mad mama bear. I'm going to email my two cents about the trainer when camp is over.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back