Holding kids back a level to win?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know what you mean, it's very frustrating! I've been watching this one club who keeps some of their gymnasts in the same level for well over 2 years. And those gymnasts could go AT LEAST 2 levels ahead than what they are. They always win, and get the highest scores. Although competing shouldn't be about winning all the time, but your personal best, it sure is ridiculous that the gymnasts who work their butt off to compete in the most maximum level possible for them, get the lower scores because of other gymnasts that should be a higher level. I know that it's not the gymnasts fault, it's primarily their coaches. But I guess there's not much we can do about it. I'm not downing the clubs who DO hold back, because I can understand why they would. It's just not fair though-But on the other hand, life isn't fair all the time either. :p

EXACTLY our situation. I find it very, very frustrating, but hey, we gotta deal :)

We see this happening a lot in our area, girls being held back to help the team win. It's really sad when you see these talented girls eventually burn out and end up leaving the sport. We had a girl that left her old gym and came to us. She was a level 8 for 2 years at the old gym, scoring in the 37's. They wanted her to repeat a 3rd year at that level because they wanted her to win regionals before she went to level 9. She was already in her junior year in highschool and really wanted to do college gymnastics. Staying level 8 would not allow her any opportunity at all for a chance of college gymnastics. She left that gym and spent her junior and senior season as a 9 in our gym and is now in her 2nd year of college gymnastics.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back