Home conditioning

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does your gym give out a home conditioning programme? If so can you share it with us? I have heard this is common and I am wondering are these very basic or do they involve a lot of time and the need for supervision etc?

My dd gets a home conditioning program from her gym. She goes to the gym 3 days a week and has 3 days of home conditioning. If she actually did it without playing around and talking so much, she could have it done in probably about 10 minutes. It includes every day splits and flexibility and then the other days alternate with things like chin ups, leg lifts, v-ups, arch rocks, press handstands, handstands against the wall, etc. Pretty low key and like I said, doesn't really take much time.

we just got a conditioning list we are supposed to do at home every day, since wwe don't train nearly as much as other gyms.. my coach would rather have us condition at home becuase she said it's silly for our parents to pay her to watch us do splits..lol. but ours is mostly strengthening exercises to prevent overuse injuries and things like that.. my coach says it takes about 10 minutes once you get the hang of it, but right now it takes me about 20 mins :D

We do not have a specific program but the girls are told they should be conditioning at home. They are supposed to do push ups, sit ups, practice splits and hollow holds. Basically they just want them working on strength and flexibility in between practices.

We have not been given a at home conditioning program or anything like that. We have been told that we need to stretch every day, but that is about it.

Our gym actually discourages much gymnastics, even conditioning, outside of the gym. The only time they have suggested that it may be helpful to our dd is in the month or so before regional TOPs tests and before National TOPs.

I send out specific lists of at home conditioning. Depending on the athlete, it varies. Example.. One athlete lacks core strength so that is her focus.
The girls complete their conditioning lists twice or three times a week, and return it when completed. The reps and difficulty increase every 2 weeks to 4 weeks.
It takes about 20 minutes and has helped a few athletes increase their strength so much. I love it so far!

I give out a conditioning calendar every month to all of my tumblers and my advanced gymnasts. Each day has a specific thing that they need to do. It should only take them no more than about 5 minutes to complete...at the most. Some of the things I put on there: push ups, crunches, v ups, over splits, wall sits, hollow rocks, arch ups...simple things they can do safely at home. It's not much, but I think every little bit helps.:)

boys pre team ages between 4/5 - 6/7

home exercise sheet given out
When they start they do them as best they can and progress to being able to do it properly - they do the exercises A LOT in their class too so they know what is expected and the coach is happy to demonstrate to parents so they understand too.

Handstand chest to wall 1 minute x 2, back to wall 1 minute x 2
split all ways 1 minute each
bridge x 10
straddle lever hold 10 seconds x 5
half lever hold 10 seconds x 5
russian lever hold 10 seconds x 5
straddle lever to handstand (as far up as they can go), pause, lower to straddle lever x 3
piked handstand press ups x 10
stick forward and backward over head x 10 (mark where hands go,and trying to get hands narrower as time goes on)
chin ups x 10 - overgrasp, undergrasp and mixed gras
leg raises x 10
arch rock x 20
dish rock x 20
v - ups x 20
back raises x 20

In this class the boys train twice a week for 2 hours each time, and it is basic skills, control, and strength mainly,and fun at the end jumping off the bar platform into the pit, games in and out of the pits etc.
They take this class with the head coach.

Nothing so formalized. Midget was told she needs to do pull ups at home every day but nothing else.

Our gym does 45 minutes of conditioning at every practice so they don't ask them to condition at home. However, if we are going to be out on vacation then she is given conditioning to do. It consists of v-ups, push ups, press handstands, and splits.

We're supposed to do spilts for at least 100 seconds (middles,left and right) and when we brush our teeth and say our prayers we're supposed to sit in spilts LOL.

Partner shoulder streches if possible. If not bridge shoulders againset the wall

Straddle sit againset the wall for the more flexible girls (my favourite!) or just regular straddles

Handstands, press to handstand

Push ups, chin ups, chin up pullovers and pull ups.

Hollow body rocks, v-sits, v sit-straddle out-straddle middle spilts, spilt rolls.

Last edited:
Does your gym give out a home conditioning programme? If so can you share it with us? I have heard this is common and I am wondering are these very basic or do they involve a lot of time and the need for supervision etc?

Well they are supposed to have a chin up bar to do chin ups, pull ups, leg lifts etc. on the days they don't have gym Not sure what the number of them are but I know some look the same except for hands which can face forward or backward. There are also things like splits, straddles, V ups, etc on the list. Nothing too hard really.

DD has a sheet with conditioning exercises, different for each gymnast depending on their strengths/weakness and if they have any equipment such as a chin up bar or floor beam at home. It is divided into beam/bar/tummy and upper arm sections, the coach will nominate a section to practice each week.
Probably takes her around 10-15 mins per day. Similiar to what others have mentioned, sit ups, push ups, v-sits, handstand on the wall, straddle press, leg lifts, cliff tops, front support marching, chin ups. Also all three splits every day. On the floor beam she does lots of high kicks, with and without weights, straddle walks, holding L sit.
It is suggested that she conditions every day, but her coach is not overly stressed about whether it gets done or not.

For DS it is all three splits every day, at least once, preferably twice per day. He tends to watch tv in split position.

DD has a sheet with conditioning exercises, different for each gymnast depending on their strengths/weakness and if they have any equipment such as a chin up bar or floor beam at home. It is divided into beam/bar/tummy and upper arm sections, the coach will nominate a section to practice each week.
Probably takes her around 10-15 mins per day. Similiar to what others have mentioned, sit ups, push ups, v-sits, handstand on the wall, straddle press, leg lifts, cliff tops, front support marching, chin ups. Also all three splits every day. On the floor beam she does lots of high kicks, with and without weights, straddle walks, holding L sit.
It is suggested that she conditions every day, but her coach is not overly stressed about whether it gets done or not.

For DS it is all three splits every day, at least once, preferably twice per day. He tends to watch tv in split position.

my gym does just about the same exact thing for us.
at the beginning of each month like within the first week they "evaluate" us to see if our strength has gotten any worse or better and depending on the changes they will change our lists around, we also have to keep a calendar of when we do our conditioning. i thought it was a little dumb at first because when you aren't at the gym i thought it was like free time. but then i realized the difference it can make if you really try to condition at home!

I send out a 'suggested conditioning' sheet to all my development squad gymnasts after their first 3 months in the squad. It goes with a letter that states the parents should encourage their child to do the exercises but not force, and the excercises should take no more than 10 mins per day.

I think that if a gymnast wants to improve, even at this age (5/6) they will do most of the things on the list without even thinking about it!

It includes chin ups and leg lifts on their bars, step ups, press up position with feet raised on bottom stair etc. Most of their parents tell me their children can't stop doing gymnastics at home, so that is good enough for me!

When they get into the competition squad it really is down to the individual coach.

As for my older girls, well they train 12 hours per week and we do a lot of conditioning - I give them bits of 'homework' now and then - such as to practice straddle presses or splits - always something measurable, but nothing formal.

We are supposed to sit in splits each for a minute, and that's all they ask of us. My coach tells us it's the least we can do, because you can even do homework while sitting in the splits! She's very understanding with the older gymnasts who have "lives" outside of gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back