Parents Homework

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I don't understand why anyone would put homework before gymnastics, when research clearly shows that gymnastics has greater benefits for a students grades at school than homework does.

at the moment there is an enquiry going on where I live to consider banning homework altogether. Their most research found that homework offered zero benefit to children in prep to 3rd grade, poor benefits for children in 4th-6th grade, minimal benefits for children in 7th-9th grade and reasonable benefits for children in 10th-12th grade. So it abolition is being very seriously considered. Many of the countries scoring the highest on the international education scale do not set homework at all.

on the other hand, exercise and sports like gymnastics improve a child's concentration, memory, listening skills, retention and learning ability. As well as ensuring overall good health.

Totally agree... But running for cover in preparation of the potential flaming from the education world....

I think you'd find plenty of classroom teachers who feel that the system has lost sight of the mission to educate. Probably due to the many chefs stirring the education pot at the admin level and up. My wife has been a dedicated class room teacher for nearly 25 years, and she's seen a continual erosion of the system's use of class time to educate kids.

Instead they spend an increasing amount of time evaluating kids, testing, and filling out reports that are used to justify the time and money spent on education. This year, my dear wife will spend slightly more than 10% of her classroom contact time jumping through these hoops, and it's really wearing her down because what she wants to do more than anything is teach.

You may find some upset teachers in the crowd, but more likely than not, they're upset with a system that increases the number of kids they work with, raises the bar every year, and requires her to teach to a test rather than teach a kid.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back