MAG Hoping it's not too late

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

LLmom

Proud Parent
I apologize for the long question in advance! I'm new to posting, but long-time lurker :). I have DS 10 and DD 7.

My son has loved gym since he was a toddler. We previously lived in a prime area for boys gym. He moved quickly through rec classes, into boys classes a year early and was on track to start pre-team at 6. He's done EVERY other sport...but this is his love.

Unfortunately 4 years ago we moved to an area with very little boys gym and that which exists is pretty recreational. The coaches are inexperienced and lack knowledge of teaching skill progression. In addition, he's grown 10 inches and 25 pounds the less than 2 years! Long story short...he was started into level 4 WAY too early and then moved up to 5 WAY too early. He's a div 2 level 6 because he needed a change...not because he's a ton better than he was last year at level 5. He's been a middle of the road placer at any large meet we've attended in 4 years.

My question...we are moving back (not for gym, for my work) to the area of better boys gymnastics.

At this point, I mostly want some reassurance or advice from someone who's had their sort-of-recreational but very strong and flexible and loves gymnastics kid change gyms to a better gym with more knowledgeable coaches. I'm so hopeful for him that with proper coaching he will make gains more quickly, feel less frustrated (and not be a level 5 for 75 years!), continue to grow in gym. He is in this sport because he loves it. We are in it because it teaches him hard work and determination and how to overcome fear. Can anyone tell me that this is going to work? I'm so worried that he will walk into the new gym "too old" and get frustrated!

Boys gymnastics is so different. THere is no too late. Many boys start at 8 or 9 and with work, make it to high levels, some even college. MAG is so different, with the peak of their gymnastics ability coming after puberty, and after muscles.

It could be frustrating, as he may feel behind at times, but it is not too late. THe fact that he loves it will help a lot, and he should be able to "catch up" with good coaching and work :) (and I do not mean that he is behind. Boys all have strange but different paths to their gymnastics careers ;) )

Good luck with your move!

I totally agree with the above. Boys mature late and can catch up. How old is your ds? Mine competed level 4 as an 11yo. This year at 15 yo, he is level 9. It's super amazing to look at all he's learned just in this past year.

He just turned 11...probably should have been a level 5 again, although level 6 division 2 has been an okay transition. He has a coach who basically says "go do _____" and if you don't know how you just don't do it. When he goes to camp every summer and "gets" new skills it's from doing a proper hands-on skill progression. Then he comes home and "loses" the skills that his coaches don't seem to know how to coach. I'm so hopeful that having a more skilled coach will help him keep moving forward rather than feeling stuck. Fingers crossed!

I think "lateness" all has to do with attitude. Too late for what, exactly?

My son is a Level 6 division 2, and he is 10, but competing as 11 with the new date change. And he started on team when he was 7 and he was doing rec way before that- same gym, no breaks, good gym, good coaches. He works his butt off and is strong and flexible, but it can take him a while to get the skills. He is perfectly happy at our gym and is the same general age as most of the other boys at his level. In other words an 11 year old Level 6 or even 5 does not sound all that late to me.

After they mature, it's a whole new ballgame. My son has a teammate who was never all that great -- he actually spent three years at L6. Then he got a visit from from the puberty fairy and now he's a nationally competitive athlete. We also had an athlete who'd been at a gym in another state, languishing in compulsories. His family moved here and he came in for an evaluation at competitive age 13, fully expecting the coaches to put him at L5 for another year. Our program director took one look at him and snarled, "You're almost shaving! You're a Level 8!" and after a summer of insanely hard work, he was.

Definitely not too late! We are at a competitive gym that sends boys to nationals most years and had several boys get college scholarships last year. As a rule, they tend to keep boys in compulsories for awhile. DS is the second youngest boy out of the 9 L5 and L6 kids, and that's because he transferred in after L5. If he had started at this gym, I don't think he'd be a L6 this season.

For comparison, our 5 L5s are mostly either 10 or 11, and DS's L6 team has a 10yo (DS), an 11yo, a 12yo, and a 13yo. (Our gym doesn't do D2, so these are all D1 kids, but I don't think that matters much.) All of the boys have been incredibly successful this season, with lots of 1st AAs and team awards among those 9 guys, and there is plenty of competition in those age groups at the meets.

My point is just that there are competitive gyms with "older" boys at the lower levels that are turning out nationally competitive L9s and L10s. With the new age rules, your son is still on track to be within the nationals-eligible age groups, and with some good coaching, I bet he'll progress quickly. Good luck to him and to you in your move!

I think "lateness" all has to do with attitude. Too late for what, exactly?

My son is a Level 6 division 2, and he is 10, but competing as 11 with the new date change. And he started on team when he was 7 and he was doing rec way before that- same gym, no breaks, good gym, good coaches. He works his butt off and is strong and flexible, but it can take him a while to get the skills. He is perfectly happy at our gym and is the same general age as most of the other boys at his level. In other words an 11 year old Level 6 or even 5 does not sound all that late to me.

Thanks.

I feel like I should clarify that I don't so much think that 11 (competing as 11-yo this year, was 9 last year, much like yours) is too old to be a level 5 or 6.

My concern was more that he's spent 4 years feeling stagnant and without growth. And is there still time...with good coaching...to rediscover that. It sounds like lots of people think yes, which sure helps me.

Interestingly, DS isn't actually excited about moving...he doesn't want to leave some very wonderful friends...even though he knows the gym situation (along with many other things) should be better.

To be fair to his coaches...they aren't bad people or mean people. But they don't know how to progress skills and thus my son, who is an over-thinker, worries about what can go wrong. This doesn't suit a "just try it anyway" style gym! I'm hoping a more stepwise approach will be the key to some of his worry and an explosion of growth.

I have to say again how grateful I am to hear some other encouraging perspectives. Again, in a very small MAG area means that there aren't a lot of supports to bounce questions off of here!

My ds had 2-3 years of ok coaching, from level 7-9. It was rough. But if he is willing to listen and learn from teh coaches, he will progress quickly!

Most kids don't want change, but they adjust. Gym wise, he should thrive with more knowledgeable coaches. Trust me, we've never changed gyms but ds skipped from level 6-9 this year. Shocking what he's learned in that one year.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back