WAG How do you beat nerves?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does anyone have any advice for conquering nerves? I've always been a very nervous child and a huge worrywart but it has gotten worse as I have gotten older. I'm talking about throwing up before competitions and not being able to sleep for nights before because I'm nervous for them. It never really affects my performance once I am actually at a competition but it is not fun throwing up before everyone and having my stomach in knots the whole time! I have given myself ulcers before too. I do want to be a doctor someday and I know that will be a very stressful job so I am trying to manage this before I actually make myself really sick.
Thanks for any and all advice; I really appreciate it.

i regret that your time might have passed. i don't have anything useful that i can say.

i regret that your time might have passed. i don't have anything useful that i can say.

Man, I really hope that's not true.....anxiety is awful to deal with and most likely will be a lifelong challenge for you. I believe your never too old to change.....that being said, this is something that you may need professional help getting a handle on; someone to help you learn strategies to help you with this so it doesn't control your life and keep you from accomplishing your goals (gymnastics or life goals)! Good luck!

Yikes, where does one begin? Well, first a little history. Anxiety has a place in our lives, and it isn't necessarialy a bad thing. It can make us better mentally and physically, and is in large part why we have made it for millions of years as a species (the fight/flight thing). Having said that, there are times and degrees of anxiety that aren't acceptable, and it sounds like you may be flirting with that place. Should you be nervous before a competition? Sure, if you weren't, I think there would be something wrong. It means you care, and adrenaline is the best performance enhancing 'drug' you could want. Having your stomach in knots, loosing sleep, throwing up, ulcers, etc., that's over the top. Sometimes it's a fine/blurry line, but I feel you have crossed it with what you have described. There is no help (support and understanding, yes) on this board that can fix this problem. As mentioned above, you need to seek professional help in this matter. This isn't as simple as a gymnastics problem, this is a life problem that needs to be addressed asap. Your life is just starting, so the sooner you learn from a professional how to handle this, the sooner you can get on with what I'm sure will be a great and sucessful life! Wish you the very best. :)
“If the road is easy, you're likely going the wrong way.”
Terry Goodkind

Man, I really hope that's not true.....anxiety is awful to deal with and most likely will be a lifelong challenge for you. I believe your never too old to change.....that being said, this is something that you may need professional help getting a handle on; someone to help you learn strategies to help you with this so it doesn't control your life and keep you from accomplishing your goals (gymnastics or life goals)! Good luck!

i was speaking to the gymnastics part.

Oops I should have phrased everything differently. I didn't mean to ask for medical advice. I have discussed this with a doctor many times. What I should have asked is something like "how do you relax?" Thanks guys.

Music. Ipod.

Totally worked for us back in HS during our T&F meets.

I have discussed this with a doctor many times.
Good! Keep discussing it until you get it resolved. :) As for relaxing, there are the usual things like music (as mentioned above), visualization, meditation, yoga, biofeedback, hypnosis, etc. At the end of the day, it's really important to not take life or yourself too seriously!

You take a rolling pin and get to it!

More seriously, I don't think I'm going to suggest anymore tips like "eat better, breathe, etc" as I'm sure you already know of them. A quick fix that personally works for me is to watch something funny--something that will lightens your mood up. It's much easier to convince yourself that whatever is ahead or whatever situation you are in currently isn't that bad and it will be OK.

Or, you can take a rolling pin and go beat something up to get rid of that nervous energy. ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back