WAG How do you correct "banana back" or "watermelon belly"?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ever hear or see of those little belts with things on them gymnasts have to wear. Basically they have to pelvic tilt so these little things like headlights point forward.

I always had this posture (always = still do). So do my rubber kids, we have a "lets try to make our handstands flat with our noses and all against the wall" club goin on. Some kids have reduced their arch. I havent and my gumbiest gumby hasn't. I suspect that we're just built that way. We can hollow out mindfully but standing that way just ain't gunna happen. And ballet class was sheer pain.

and bringing attention to something on someone's body that is irrelevant and can't be changed. and then later, everyone wonders why kids have so many problems about body image. geesh.
I'm sure we all agree here that the desire to reduce the "watermelon belly" is not about appearance, but due to a desire to avoid serious lower spine problems in the future, knowing that the rate of lumbar disc degeneration is fairly high in elite gymnasts.

Last edited:
but not because of the sway. it is due to all the hours. it's published. even those that don't have sway have problems.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back