How do you set kids up when learning kip?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My question for coaches out there (and anyone else who knows) is regarding the set up of the bar when a kid is first learning kip. How close should they stand to the bar and how high should the bar be?

I'm asking because DD has had 2 coaches do it different ways and one way works really well for her and the other not at all. One coach sets her up 2 panel mats so the bar is above shoulder level, but not way above shoulder level and she starts further back. With this approach she gets a really good glide and can almost do the kip by herself. The coach says he is barely touching her.

The other coach has her start really close to the bar and just standing on the regular mat. She pretty much jumps to the bar in a dead hang (she's little) and doesn't really glide and can't do the kip at all. So from this approach she's nowhere close. I'm not a gym coach or a gymnast and don't pretend to be, but from my perspective it seems like she's starting so close to the bar and the bar is so high that she can't glide.

How do you teach your little ones a kip?

I have a few videos of my girls learning their kip, and other various combos with a kip. I set up the bar, about head height, and the spring board about 8 'foot' lengths away from the bar to start. I set a mat in the middle of the high & low bar for them to glide to, and then "pull their pants up," keeping the bar close to their body and pressing down on the bar. If they can feel what is right and wrong, it comes much easier.

Heres my youtube link:
YouTube - jrsfitpromo's Channel

You'll hear a lot of grumbling sometimes between the fact that many kips are more of long hang kips than glide kips but this gets down to the fact if they are allowed to learn how to kip without pike-extend to hollow.

Simply, I'm not a big fan of teaching a kid a glide swing until they can hold a nice L hang and hollow. Not for a few seconds, mind you.

As well, I do not teach kids to jump to the bar and swing their arms to open until I am very sure they are gonna be fully open and extended. Otherwise, you get a jerk as their head is out.

Here is a really good video I just saw today. This is how I set it up for little ones. She is jumping from a box (you can see it later in the video when the angle is changed) and her coach has pulled mats in underneath which forces her to glide kip rather than long hang kip on the bottom bar. You can clearly see her extend at the end of the glide and the different between that and her long hang kip. Her form is just beautiful too. I could watch all day!!

YouTube - Bar Practice October 10

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back