How does a kid manage this?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Last night my daughter managed to kick herself in the head while doing a dive roll over a mat from a run on the tumble track. I'm trying to envision how she did it. Anyway, for the short time (which seemed like forever) that she did not get up, I think my heart stopped. She was laying there though because her head hurt and she's got a small bump and a sore spot on her forhead over one of her eyes. It was overall an accident prone night. Two more small accidents and we went home before something else happened. I think she was tired.

Very common actually.

I'll try to not use "gym" terms, so here goes.

As the child goes into the forward roll, her hips must pass up behind her then over her head.

As the child lands on their upper back and starts to roll, their legs are suspended above them.

If they fail to squeeze and keep their legs tight, gravity (it's evil, right?) will drag their knees down into their face.

In the masterfully drawn image below, I have replicated this situation.

P.S. I give drawing lessons!

Unless her legs are unusually short, it was most definitively her knees. And probably better for that too - her toes would most likely have gouged her eyes lol

Don't feel bad! Two summers ago, my daughter was on our tramp working on standing back tucks. When she came in, my husband and I noticed that her eye was all red and puffy. She gave herself a black eye & didn't even realize it! She was clueless. We figure she just tucked a little too hard! You'll all look back on it later & laugh. :rolleyes:

Here's another good one.... my dd was on floor and did a ring jump and kicked herself with her heel in her eye socket. She said she could only see out of one eye and it teared for her whole floor routine... lol..

Very common actually.

I'll try to not use "gym" terms, so here goes.

As the child goes into the forward roll, her hips must pass up behind her then over her head.

As the child lands on their upper back and starts to roll, their legs are suspended above them.

If they fail to squeeze and keep their legs tight, gravity (it's evil, right?) will drag their knees down into their face.

In the masterfully drawn image below, I have replicated this situation.

P.S. I give drawing lessons!

that's great! ^^^:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back