How Does Gym Type Effect Gymnasts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

lilgymmie7-I really do appreiciate your posts and advice but I don't think you are getting the point of my post. She at 5 has no dreams or aspirations other right now other than Santa bringing her this paticular doll that she wants!
I guess I just want to know if the gym we are at is a healthy environment for her to be in. Preschool wise, it has been fantastic. I just want to know what their thought process is for every team gymnast that walks through the door, not just mine. It is meant to be a broader range question about environment and atmosphere.

Opps! Sorry then. I guess I should limit my comments when I am sick. I hope I didn't offend. Thanks for the feedback.:)

Okay I think I know what you were getting at now as you had stated in another post that you didn't know if you wanted to go the rec. route or the JO route? Am I correct or am I thinking of someone else? In any regards if she enters the rec. program and then decides she wants to compete she can usualy switch easily as long as she isn;t in the rec. program too long. Rec. programs and meant to be just for fun, lots of skills too but from my experience not following the USAG skills exactly.

If she decised to go the JO route honestly until the issue comes up I would just play it by ear and wouldn't even mention he goal is not to become an elite. But in all honesty I doubt very much that she would be treated any differently, most girls do not make it to elite, a lot of them have the goal of it and it doesn't pan out. An elite gym is also going to want strong levels across the board. It wouldn't look good to only have good elites and horrible other levels so I am sure due attention is paid to all levels.

Maybe a mind settling answer for you would be (if allowed) stay and watch a level 7 8 or 9 practice and see how the girls are treated, I can 100% promise you not all of them have the goal of becoming elite.

Many parents, including a couple at our gym, have to deal with the struggle of outgrowing a gym. Their dds have loads of potential, but the gym has no elite program, no desire to do elite, or no real experience with it, and they are faced with having to move somewhere out of state to find a good elite program.

Megley, what about Excaliber... Capital? They're both experienced gyms w/an elite program.

Well, I can't see why they wouldn't just go to World Class, which is not only in our state but more or less within commuting distance of the area in question. Unless it already hasn't worked out for some reason. Yes, it's a newer program, but it's a strong program so I can't see the merit of moving out of state until the kid had already gone through L10 and tested elite and decided it really didn't afford the exact opportunities they were pursuing. And it has a strong JO L10/NCAA track program and many successful gymnasts in that track. Presumably we have the programs in this state to get them to quite a high level before moving out of state should really a significant option or problem by my calculations. If I had a child doing gymnastics in this state I wouldn't even consider it unless they were literally already elite and had Olympic caliber potential. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something though? I mean if people do want to move to an elite gym out of state, cool, but I guess it seems a bit premature to me.

Gymdog, I do agree that World Class would be a great gym to go to for elite training. Whether these particular girls will move there or not, I could not say. There are a lot of dynamics involved that I cannot speak to on a public message board.

Gymdog, I do agree that World Class would be a great gym to go to for elite training. Whether these particular girls will move there or not, I could not say. There are a lot of dynamics involved that I cannot speak to on a public message board.

I understand, I'm not looking for specifics and I'm sure there are many factors going on. I guess I'm just a bit baffled that unless the kid is already elite, the first move they'd look to make would be out of state when there is a gym with really a super strong program within a reasonable driving distance. While I do think at some point a move could be necessary, I would say there's a lot between "no elite development program at all" and "needs to move to WOGA", you know? If the parents aren't recognizing this I think it would be a huge mistake to pick up and move out of state for gymnastics without first trying the programs available closer.

As a side note one major difference DD has experienced between elite gym and more rec type gym is the elite gym doesnt care as much how she "performs" at competitions in these lower levels. To clarify they have said the goal is to move through lvls 4-6 obtaining necessary skills and form to be successfull at optional levels realizing much of the team is young, they dont care how they place at meets lvls 4-6. Sometimes infact at this gym you see middle of the pack scoring in these levels but then around lvl 7 or 8 they are the top scorers in most meets.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back