Parents How Does Moving Up Work?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello! Will gyms automatically move your child up when ready? Or do you have to ask?

We've been sitting back and letting the gym do their thing... We are clueless parents when it comes to gymnastics. We don't know anything! So we just sit back and enjoy watching our daughter. . She LOVES gymnastics, she beams the entire time, and is disappointed every time they say class is over. SO glad we found something she loves!

Our daughter is in low level rec classes. We've noticed she is way better than the other kids, but we thought that was normal for a kid to be more athletic. Well, now parents of kids in higher/advanced classes have started asking us why she isn't in a higher class, some even saying our daughter is better than their kids. We thought maybe it's because she is tiny for her age? Or because she is overly brave and might hurt herself? Or something else? Maybe because we moved from out of state? The skills are there... we started paying attention now and she is definitely ahead of the kids not only in her class, but also in the next class up.

Do we just sit tight and wait on the gym to tell us to move her up? Or do we ask to move up? What's normal?

Gyms vary so much. Some will move up kids when there is room. Others will do only at the end of each "session", which could be 4, 8, 12 wks. most will have some sort of written report at the end of the session to give you an idea of their progress and recommendations (stay or move up a level) . Best thing to do is to ask the front desk about move ups. How old is she and how long has she been there?

Gyms vary so much. Some will move up kids when there is room. Others will do only at the end of each "session", which could be 4, 8, 12 wks. most will have some sort of written report at the end of the session to give you an idea of their progress and recommendations (stay or move up a level) . Best thing to do is to ask the front desk about move ups. How old is she and how long has she been there?
She just turned 7 and we've lived here 7 mos. She did gymnastics prior to us moving here, through level 2. When we moved here, she was put in level 1. Since then, everything has been easy for her. She does double back hip circles, can pull up onto a bar taller than her (good thing too... she is tiny!), handstand to bridge to kickover, does all the beam walks/turns/jumps/balance stuff with good form and no wobbling, occasionally even sticks a cartwheel on the low beam, great on the trampoline and vault, etc. She looks good to us, but we don't know what to look for either. Admittedly, when we moved here it wasn't as "pretty" as it is now, but now she is all about form and takes it very seriously. I'd convinced myself that we were just biased, until multiple other parents started approaching us.

I will ask the desk; I worry that they forgot about her (she has a new teacher every few weeks). Last time I asked, they said they'll let us know... That was when we were brand new here.

Politely ask what the policy is and what skills are required for each level/class. If they don't automatically do progress reports, you should be able to ask for one. Be super nice and you can even say you don't know anything about gymnastics or how the gym works, you're just curious about what to expect. If you are eventually going to be interested in team, you can say that and ask how that might work. I have no problems when parents genuinely want to know these kinds of things. Sometimes it seems obvious to me as a coach, but a brief explanation of progression can go a long way!

At our gym, we have four sessions, with summer being a shorter session. Our preschool classes (18m-5yo not yet in kindergarten) are all age based and move ups happen after a child's birthday. So if they turn 3 during one session, they will be recommended for the 4 year old class the next session.

There is a special beginning class for kindergarteners because we've found it works best for us, however if a kindergartener shows the skills, they can move to an intermediate class as well.

Beginning, intermediate, intermediate plus, and advanced are the rest of our rec classes. These move ups happen at the end of a session (about 12 weeks, summer is 7-8). We do tell parents most kids spend an average of about a year at each level, though of course this varies. There is a skill chart for each level but we do not do progress reports for each child unless requested. We do not have a specific testing day, rather coaches observe throughout the session, following the curriculum for each level and if needed checking off certain skills. We are an Xcel only gym and the advanced class functions as pre team, so theoretically everyone is moving towards team, though most do not get that far. We do also have junior high/high school beginning - advanced for those who get stuck at a certain level and/or aren't interested in team ever, or anymore.

I just shared as an example and maybe it will help you know what to ask, but you will definitely have to check in with your individual gym. Feel free to introduce yourself to your child's coach if you haven't yet and tell them how much your daughter loves class and can't wait to learn more! The front desk staff can tell you the gym policies, but only the coach actually knows your kid and their skills.

Politely ask what the policy is and what skills are required for each level/class. If they don't automatically do progress reports, you should be able to ask for one. Be super nice and you can even say you don't know anything about gymnastics or how the gym works, you're just curious about what to expect. If you are eventually going to be interested in team, you can say that and ask how that might work. I have no problems when parents genuinely want to know these kinds of things. Sometimes it seems obvious to me as a coach, but a brief explanation of progression can go a long way!

At our gym, we have four sessions, with summer being a shorter session. Our preschool classes (18m-5yo not yet in kindergarten) are all age based and move ups happen after a child's birthday. So if they turn 3 during one session, they will be recommended for the 4 year old class the next session.

There is a special beginning class for kindergarteners because we've found it works best for us, however if a kindergartener shows the skills, they can move to an intermediate class as well.

Beginning, intermediate, intermediate plus, and advanced are the rest of our rec classes. These move ups happen at the end of a session (about 12 weeks, summer is 7-8). We do tell parents most kids spend an average of about a year at each level, though of course this varies. There is a skill chart for each level but we do not do progress reports for each child unless requested. We do not have a specific testing day, rather coaches observe throughout the session, following the curriculum for each level and if needed checking off certain skills. We are an Xcel only gym and the advanced class functions as pre team, so theoretically everyone is moving towards team, though most do not get that far. We do also have junior high/high school beginning - advanced for those who get stuck at a certain level and/or aren't interested in team ever, or anymore.

I just shared as an example and maybe it will help you know what to ask, but you will definitely have to check in with your individual gym. Feel free to introduce yourself to your child's coach if you haven't yet and tell them how much your daughter loves class and can't wait to learn more! The front desk staff can tell you the gym policies, but only the coach actually knows your kid and their skills.
Thank you for your reply! Incredibly helpful! I like the idea of asking for what skills they are looking for in each level. I will ask.

And a great idea to talk to a coach. She has a new coach every few weeks right now, but I can see where talking with a coach is helpful since they know your kiddo more.

Again, thank you for taking the time to type out your reply. Very educational and helpful!

When my daughter was young and in rec, I politely sat back and waited for coaches to notice her and move her up. When they didn't, I figured there must be some reason that I as a parent couldn't see. I didn't want to be pushy or obnoxious. Finally one day I made a polite inquiry about it. The teacher said "hmmm... I can evaluate her for (next level)." After a two minute evaluation she said "oh, she's definitely ready for (next class.)" I was kicking myself for not saying something earlier.

A year or two later I had the same question about pre-team. I wondered why she wasn't being identified. She clearly loved gymnastics and seemed to my untrained eye to be more advanced than others in the class, but I again figured that others knew better than I and that if she had potential for team, the coaches would see it. I FINALLY asked a more experienced parent who said something to one of the coaches, and that coach evaluated her and put her on a pre-team. I had assumed there was some magical power that coaches had to know who had potential, and while they certainly do identify high-potential kids early, that's not the only path.

She started team a little "late" and that was a bit limiting at first, but she's now a successful, multi-year level 10 and laughs about how she was in the preschool class for three years. I learned through the process that you do have to speak up!

When my daughter was young and in rec, I politely sat back and waited for coaches to notice her and move her up. When they didn't, I figured there must be some reason that I as a parent couldn't see. I didn't want to be pushy or obnoxious. Finally one day I made a polite inquiry about it. The teacher said "hmmm... I can evaluate her for (next level)." After a two minute evaluation she said "oh, she's definitely ready for (next class.)" I was kicking myself for not saying something earlier.

A year or two later I had the same question about pre-team. I wondered why she wasn't being identified. She clearly loved gymnastics and seemed to my untrained eye to be more advanced than others in the class, but I again figured that others knew better than I and that if she had potential for team, the coaches would see it. I FINALLY asked a more experienced parent who said something to one of the coaches, and that coach evaluated her and put her on a pre-team. I had assumed there was some magical power that coaches had to know who had potential, and while they certainly do identify high-potential kids early, that's not the only path.

She started team a little "late" and that was a bit limiting at first, but she's now a successful, multi-year level 10 and laughs about how she was in the preschool class for three years. I learned through the process that you do have to speak up!
Thank you for your reply. We sound very similar personality wise.

I appreciate you sharing your experience. That helps a lot! I will talk to them. I am realizing it doesn't hurt to ask nicely. When my daughter watches the higher level girls she talks about how much she wants to do those things and asks when she gets to learn them. ❤️

That is amazing that your daughter went on to be so successful! Very happy for her!

Many years ago when DD was in rec she would get a little certificate at the end of each session and written on the bottom was the recommended next class. It was like "Next up: Lady Bugs!"

For team they had an open try out date that anyone, even people not in classes, could come and try out for team on.

It definitely can't hurt to politely enquire but if you don't get a response you could check out other good gyms in the area and see if they have space on their team. From your description she sounds ready for pre-team in many gyms.

Hello! Will gyms automatically move your child up when ready? Or do you have to ask?

We've been sitting back and letting the gym do their thing... We are clueless parents when it comes to gymnastics. We don't know anything! So we just sit back and enjoy watching our daughter. . She LOVES gymnastics, she beams the entire time, and is disappointed every time they say class is over. SO glad we found something she loves!

Our daughter is in low level rec classes. We've noticed she is way better than the other kids, but we thought that was normal for a kid to be more athletic. Well, now parents of kids in higher/advanced classes have started asking us why she isn't in a higher class, some even saying our daughter is better than their kids. We thought maybe it's because she is tiny for her age? Or because she is overly brave and might hurt herself? Or something else? Maybe because we moved from out of state? The skills are there... we started paying attention now and she is definitely ahead of the kids not only in her class, but also in the next class up.

Do we just sit tight and wait on the gym to tell us to move her up? Or do we ask to move up? What's normal?
Not a huge amount of help, but I was very happy to see this post as I'm in exactly the same boat (albeit in the UK). 6yo is flying her way through recreational classes but the pathway beyond that is maddeningly opaque. Seems to be like joining MI6 during the Cold War, you just have to know the right people and wait for a tap on the shoulder...

Many years ago when DD was in rec she would get a little certificate at the end of each session and written on the bottom was the recommended next class. It was like "Next up: Lady Bugs!"

For team they had an open try out date that anyone, even people not in classes, could come and try out for team on.
Thank you!

It definitely can't hurt to politely enquire but if you don't get a response you could check out other good gyms in the area and see if they have space on their team. From your description she sounds ready for pre-team in many gyms.
Thank you. Unfortunately we live in a rural area so we only have one gym option (and we drive a good jaunt to get her there).

Not a huge amount of help, but I was very happy to see this post as I'm in exactly the same boat (albeit in the UK). 6yo is flying her way through recreational classes but the pathway beyond that is maddeningly opaque. Seems to be like joining MI6 during the Cold War, you just have to know the right people and wait for a tap on the shoulder...
I laughed at your description "MI6". Very, very true! I just asked her gym, and they said they are evaluating all levels right now for proper fall placement... Fingers crossed! I hope your daughter is able to continue to excel and move up!

At the rec level, nothing is standardized. Each gym has their own system with regards to how rec is structured, how kids are moved from one class or level to another, skill requirements at each level, and so on.

I laughed at your description "MI6". Very, very true! I just asked her gym, and they said they are evaluating all levels right now for proper fall placement... Fingers crossed! I hope your daughter is able to continue to excel and move up

Thank you! I think my big problem is that I don't want to be seen as one of those parents who DEMANDS to know why their darling daughter isn't being fast-tracked to the Olympics, but I also don't want any potential she has to go to go unfulfilled because I failed to make clear that we'd be interested in her taking the next step.

Thank you! I think my big problem is that I don't want to be seen as one of those parents who DEMANDS to know why their darling daughter isn't being fast-tracked to the Olympics, but I also don't want any potential she has to go to go unfulfilled because I failed to make clear that we'd be interested in her taking the next step.
Spot on! I feel exactly the same way! I don't want to be a pushy parent, or a parent who thinks our daughter is better than she is, but she absolutely loves gymnastics so we are more than willing to support her (and have the schedule flexibility to do so).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back