Parents How Does Moving Up Work?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Not a huge amount of help, but I was very happy to see this post as I'm in exactly the same boat (albeit in the UK). 6yo is flying her way through recreational classes but the pathway beyond that is maddeningly opaque. Seems to be like joining MI6 during the Cold War, you just have to know the right people and wait for a tap on the shoulder...
This is often done deliberately. Selection for team is rarely done based purely on skills/strength etc. There is generally not a list of things that need to be mastered so the selection criteria can be very subjective and many aspects are not things you can control.

Gyms will consider the gymnasts age, height, work ethic, muscle speed, technique, coachability, personality, fearlessness, effort, attendance, punctuality, how promptly they pay their fees etc etc.

Coaches will often select kids they like. As human beings we are drawn to some personalities and clash with others. Coaches Will unconsciously choose kids they like because they have to work closely with them a lot of hours per week.

This is why the system seems so opaque because it’s not what people want to hear. They want to hear there is a list of skills so they can master them. Not that their child is going to be picked based on their personality or things they can’t control like age, height and muscle speed. And things like work ethic are very hard to quantify.

@Aussie_coach Thanks for your insight. While I tend to agree with you, based on what I've observed as a longtime gym parent, I think it's important to point out that this system/method is not foolproof, and parents who have a child who loves the sport, wants more, seems to have some talent, etc. should not be discouraged from speaking up and making inquiries. Of course there is subjectivity and innate, expert sense that is involved, but kids can be missed in that process. IMHO, the prevailing method is biased in a way that certainly identifies high-potential kids, but many of those kids end up quitting when their natural talent fails them and grit and work ethic become more important. So I will continue to encourage parents to advocate for their gym-loving kids, because I wish someone had told me to advocate for mine before she spent four years in rec.

Josie55, yes, as a gym owner I agree. If your child is interested in team make it known to the gym. It may not help, but it just bumps them up onto the radar.

But on the other side of the coin, a gymnast who struggles a bit more can end up quite unhappy in team. They go from standing out in rec to bring in team where everyone has an enormous amount of talent and may watch their peers surpass them, beat them, out score them etc. it becomes very disheartening for the gymnast. Being in the right group to provide a positive experience is very important.

I will continue to encourage parents to advocate for their gym-loving kids, because I wish someone had told me to advocate for mine before she spent four years in rec.

That's a really positive way of thinking about it, thank you. I don't want to find myself four years from now being told she's really good but it's far too late to start taking things seriously.

Anyway, partly inspired by this thread, we're going to send her to a more competitive club for a few sessions over the summer, let her do her thing in front of some fresh eyes and different coaches and see if they agree with others who say she's above-averagely strong, fearless, flexible etc. I'll let you know how things go!

Our gym was somewhat on the young-ish side when my older one was invited to the pre-pre-team. I get the sense that as the gym's rec program has grown, it is now certainly harder to get your child noticed if you don't specifically ask. I have noticed that our gym is more likely to invite a kid to team who has visible flexibility (at least two splits down and close to square), obvious reasonably good strength (can hold an L-hold on a bar with pointed toes and knees straight for example), and can stay focused well over kids who do not have these things but can throw harder skills already. They more look for who they can develop into a solid gymnast over the course of years.

Our gym was somewhat on the young-ish side when my older one was invited to the pre-pre-team. I get the sense that as the gym's rec program has grown, it is now certainly harder to get your child noticed if you don't specifically ask. I have noticed that our gym is more likely to invite a kid to team who has visible flexibility (at least two splits down and close to square), obvious reasonably good strength (can hold an L-hold on a bar with pointed toes and knees straight for example), and can stay focused well over kids who do not have these things but can throw harder skills already. They more look for who they can develop into a solid gymnast over the course of years.
I hope this is the case at our gym! Our daughter is outrageously strong and tough, and is used to being told bluntly how to improve in her other sports, and she takes it very well and applies it immediately. She only has her center splits, but she's getting very close on the other splits. Crazy flexible back.

I hope the gym notices now that we've inquired. The longer I've been on this board, the more I realize she checks a lot of boxes (hard worker, short, crazy strong, conditioned, well developed muscling, tougher than tough, wants to be better in every move, focuses on form in everything she does, etc.). But, I don't know if it's good or bad that I know those things now because it makes me impatient. We'll wait and see what fall brings.

And our daughter is in! Pre team and team coaches were there this week, spotted her in class, pulled her out and asked her to do a few things, and 3 minutes later she was moved. Thank you everyone for your encouragement! I am not sure if the email helped or if she just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Regardless, we are super grateful. :)

Our girls are moved up based not only on skill level but also on attitude, most girls once invited into levels are given the opportunity to move through the levels even if they don't intend on competing. I know there are other gyms in our area that don't do this however our gym is very supportive and inclusive in this respect.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back