Parents How important is early training?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter just turned 7 and will probably compete in her first Level 4 meet early next year. She previously competed at lower levels. Her scores ranged from mid 8's to mid 9's. She does well, but it's nothing spectacular.

Recently, I was talking to a team mom of a really talented 7 year old level 5. It seems that the really young, spectacular gymnasts at our gym started much younger and train many more hours than my daughter. Even now, this includes multiple private lessons a week.

I've been told that my kid has potential, but am I ruining it for her if we go slower? Did I already mess it up for her? I can't go back in time, so starting younger is not an option at this point. I could get her into private lessons, but not several a week. I'd make the sacrifice for 1 a week if it would help her 8-10 years from now, but if they level out I don't think it's worth it.

Thanks

no you did not ruin it. no you are not doing her a disservice by not pushing her into more hours & privates. A lot (not all) of these super talented kids will burn out long before optionals. Sad & wasted talent to burn them out. Let her progress naturally, follow her lead. She or her body will tell you what she can handle.

I would reserve privates for fear issues or issues with a certain skill. She really should not need them to progess normally with good coaching. If she has potential she will move along just fine without burnibg her out at a young age with zillions of hours. let her enjoy, have fun & a life outside of the gym

just MHO

I totally agree too. Too much, too soon can lead to stress, empty wallets and burnout and injury. Your coaches will take your dd down the path they feel is best for her. Gymnasts all work and train at different speeds.

So if your aim is L10 and a college career, if she does one level a year she will be a L10 by the time she is 13, not too shabby eh?

Your DD is definitely not too young. You will see girls who started earlier, but it really doesn't mean anything. Besides, there are periods when some fall behind, and some catch up... and by optionals they are all on the same playing field (or close to it.) Some are late bloomers, some will quit....

I've always wondered - what is this race to become level 10 or elite as soon as possible? Can anyone explain this? There are many elites who aren't even eligible to participate in the Olympics until 2016. That's a long time to wait. I heard an announcer say once that Valeri Liukin timed it so that Nastia would "peak" during the time of her Olympics (as opposed to, say, 4 years before her Olympics.) Sounds like the smart thing to do. I digress......

Completely agree with all above sentiment about rushing not being necessary for long term gymnastics success. I don't, however, agree with using Nastia as an example of this. She was competing as an International Junior Elite at twelve years old. Not exactly the slow and steady path. (Though I don't think anyone could argue that her coach didn't know exactly what he was doing!)

Some of those super talented girls will progress quickly no matter what. There's a current junior elite who apparently didn't get her start in gymnastics until she was about 8 years old. One of the very (very!) talented young gymnasts who turns up on YouTube a lot is not even 9 years old yet and level 8 but she's only been in gymnastics for 2 years according to her mom. Now if you get started at 12 it is probably true that your talent is still probably not going to get you to level 10 in time for a college scholarship or to make elite, but 7 years old is by no means too late for a very talented child to go as far as she wants/can with this sport. Even a moderately talented or very dedicated child can most likely be a contender for a college scholarship if she plugs along at a reasonable pace.

I don't think I'd get her private lessons unless there's a skill she particularly needs to work on or she needs some one on one attention due to a fear issue, like the others mentioned. She should be getting what she needs in class.

If it is your daughter wanting more, you could always talk to the coaches and discuss her gymnastics future with them and see if they might be willing to push her a little harder. Is there any reason for her to compete level 4 (afterall, it isn't a required level)? Is she close to level 5 skills? Does her gym uptrain a lot? But if it is just your guilt talking, I'd try to let it go unless your daughter starts expressing a desire to work harder and go further.

Completely agree with all above sentiment about rushing not being necessary for long term gymnastics success. I don't, however, agree with using Nastia as an example of this. She was competing as an International Junior Elite at twelve years old. Not exactly the slow and steady path. (Though I don't think anyone could argue that her coach didn't know exactly what he was doing!)

So glad you said this! While Valeri might have "peaked" her for the Olympics at the right time, she most certainly was on the elite scene for many years prior to that.

As far as the OP question, listen to what others have posted and know that your daughter will be just fine doing level 4 at 7 years old!

I've been told that my kid has potential, but am I ruining it for her if we go slower? Did I already mess it up for her?
Thanks

DD and DS both go to a gym that has won various "Club of the Year" categories from USAG, that consistently produce gymnasts that place at the highest levels of team and optional events, and who has even produced Olympians.

I say these things not to brag, but to make the following point: year after year, DD's coaches have said (in response to parental complaints, actually) that among the gymnastics studios in our state who produce the caliber of athletes that we do, we have the lowest number of hours-per-level of practice. Our coaches are proud of this very fact because it produces athletes for the long-haul, meaning our gymnasts don't burn out by middle school. There are tons of high school-aged girls flipping and vaulting and handspringing their way at the gym (and hopefully into college scholarships), which, from what I've been told is uncommon in our area, at least as far as the sheer number of high schoolers we have. :)

Right now, DD, who is in L4, practices for 8.5 hours a week. There's an optional TOPS program that I can sign her up for, and I've also signed her up for the occasional private lesson to work on a specific skill.

Basically, that's a loooong-winded answer to your question, which is no. You are not "ruining" it for your DD if you go "slower," which doesn't even sound like it's "slower." Sounds to me, from her scores, that it's "just right."

My daughter is a 12 year old Level 7. She did not start team until she was 10/Level 5. She came from a 2 hour rec class which she did for years....gym always wanting her to join team....me not wanting her to have al those hours so young.

She is a great teammate and does well (generally mid 9s by the end of the season...she's placed top 3 in AA at States the past 2 years)

So, it's possible (and fine!) to not rush them! She loved her very first meet and was ready for the competition. She still loves gymnastics.

Will she be an Elite gymnast? No (though I think she has that potential) College...maybe....do you need Elite for college? Don't know!!

However she is happy and excels at a sport she loves. As a parent, that is all I could ask for!

Give your daughter time to be a kid. In the long run, she will be happier for it!

I'd say your DD is fine. Obviously if she just finished competing level 3 and is about to do Level 4, her gym has been uptraining and keeping her challenged. I'm guessing by early next year you meant January of 2012, correct me if I misunderstood.

You said you were talking to a mom of a 7yo level 5. Is that the norm for the level 5 team or are you just looking at one above average kid and feeling like that's the norm? I know for my DD's level 5 team there is a 6 yo, there is one that just turned 8, but the rest are mostly 9-10 years old. So if your DD does level 4 as a 7 year old and gets to do level 5 as an 8 year old, she'd be pretty young.

How old was your DD when she started gymnastics?

More important than what level they are at which age, is the balance of meeting each child where they are. The gym has to find a place to keep each child challenged and progressing. For some kids that is being a level 5 at 7 years old and for others that is being a level 5 at 9 year old. I'd try not to compare as long as your child is progressing.

I've been told that my kid has potential, but am I ruining it for her if we go slower?

Not sure who gave you this stellar advice. I hope it was just an overzealous parent and not a coach! You've ruined nothing for your DD. All PP's above are correct; many kids that move quickly through the compulsory levels burn out physically, mentally, emotionally. Let your daughter grow in her gymnastics at her own pace. It is much more important to focus on this year, this season, etc. and gage if your child is happy. It is o.k. for your child to have dreams and I think you should encourage them. However, there are so many variables in gymnastics that NO ONE can predict which kid will attain Level 10, College, or Elite. Many things may end the looooooong gymnastics journey before those higher levels. The child may decide she is done spending so much time in the gym, injuries, burnout, etc.

Ask yourself if your child is happy and progressing in her gymnastics? This will tell you all you need to know.

Last edited:
What I find confusing is the amount of early training that our gym's young greats have. Both young greats grew up in the gym, have parents who had former gymnastics success, have parents who currently coach gymnastics, and currently take many private lessons combined with many hours of training. That translates into thousands of hours of extra training by the time they are 7 or 8.

My kid's coaches say she's doing great. She has her level 5 skills, but some don't look great. Their plan is to have her compete and work out with the 4's January - December of next year. She currently works out 6 hours per week. There’s a few of them on Level 4 like her. I did ask at one point about her moving ahead, but since there’s no space in Level 5 and since she has a talented peer group, they feel she is fine where she is. She really likes gymnastics.

I don't think it's a good idea to ask about the differences in training the coaches’ kids versus the rest of the team at my gym. I can't see it being taken well. Additionally, coaches aren't allowed to discuss private lessons at our gym. They have had too many parents complain that they coerced into lessons.

So, I think that I'm going to go with you guys. She's progressing fine, she's happy, so I'll just let it be.

I think in a way you answered your own question. The 2 kids you see doing the mega hours are coach's kids. Its more of a lifestyle to them to be in the gym when mom/dad is coaching and they have alot more access to the gym than most of the other team kids. Since you said your dd is happy and the coaches feel she is progressing well then leave it alone. Yes, some gyms have a "no privates" policy for the reason you mentioned.
GL with your journey in gymnastics---sounds like you're off to a good start.

I do wonder what you are "ruining" for your daughter? What is the goal that they think she won't reach?

At my daughter's club there are currently no elites (there have been in the past). However, since she's been there, there have been two girls who were elite tracked and probably could have made it. They might not have been olympians, but they could probably have done well as elites. One was a TOPS national team member who had to quit at 11 due to a back/shoulder injury. She sometimes comes and works out and even assistant coaches (she's in HS now), but she doesn't compete. The other suddenly quit as a 11 yo L9 saying that she wanted time to do other things. She's now really happy and playing volleyball.

Both these girls had tremendous talent, but I wonder if the pressure that came along with talent ended up taking the fun out of gymnastics for them. Meanwhile, I see other girls at the club who were never elite-tracked (and weren't Optionals by age 8) getting college scholarships and still enjoying the sport.

If your dd has her level 5 skills (even if not pretty) on 6 hours a week she is doing great. Stick with it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back